Author: kingleo4ever

Why English is tough [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-11 13:16:17 |Display all floors

Sorry, but I must beg to differ.

"I think that any language has its own unique kinds of difficulties. The reason why children are able to learn more easily is that they don't question anything; they just accept and follow. "

Both my personal experience and years of research from universities worldwide have actually found that older children learn a foreign language more, not less efficiently than younger children.One reasonis their reasoning skills; they are capable of understanding the grammatical structures better on some subconscious level.  Whereas younger children learn by deductive reasoning (i.e, constant repetition and examples until a pattern is finally found), older children learn through logical reasoning, thus allowing them to understand the concept more quickly.

The cause of the myth that younger children learn more efficiently has to do eith the fact that they seem to have learnt their native language so effortlessly.  But that's not entirely true. First off, they speak no other language, and they depend on being able to communicate with their parents and society for survival, thus 'survival motivation' is a big factor.  The other point is that the younger child is exposed to the language 24/7, and practically everyone in town is his teacher!  Now does that sound like efficient learning?!  Obviously if we should try to teach them their foreign language the same way they learnt their native language, it would take forever!  That's why mos scholars in the field recommend that 10 years and up is the ideal time for a child to start to learn a foreign ethnic language efficiently.

The only exception to the above, according to research, is the learning of accents, which younger children seem to learn more easily than older one, primarily through mimicry.  But even this can be compensated for in older groups through the logical explanaition of the position of the parts of the mouth in order to produce the correct sound.  So in the end, unless the parents have much money to spend, the child has too much free time, or the parents know more than one language themselves, it generally makes more sense for a child to start learning a foreing ethnic language not before the age of 10.

Adults, who are already familiar with the rules in their own language, find it difficult to accept the completely different rules in another language.

My own experience wouldn't agree with that, but I'd certainly be open to your sources.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 19:09:23 |Display all floors
English isn't tough at all, from my opinion languages like Spanish/Italian/Russian and the Asian languages (Chinese/Japanese) are harder to learn than English.
I come from Belgium and guess what, from 12 till 18 we have to learn 3 languages excluding our mothertongue. We have to learn french,german & english and the dutch languages. Why? Because French & German are our second and third national language.Why english you say? Because it's a language that's spoken daily on tv and a courant business language. Why not chinese you say? Well very simple China is a 15h flight trip away from us, we would use some translators to do business with them.
English isn't hard at all f.e. (for example) the verb using is the easiest in the world
I work, you work, he works, she works, we work, they work
in dutch it would be Ik werk, jij werkt, hij werkt, zij werkt, wij werken en jullie werken
in french je travaille, tu travailles, elle travaille, nous travaillons, vous travaillez, ils travaillent (note travaill - e/es/e/ons/ez/ent)
in german ich arbeite, du arbeitest, er arbeitet, wir arbeiten, sie arbeiten
in chinese no clue :)

but you see out of that form, the english one is the easiest of them all (but that might be personal opinion).

if it might be a help for you people take a look @ www.dictionary.com it gives you pronounciation examples.
Wich could help you also they include the phonetic writing method in it.

Cheers

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-12 00:14:15 |Display all floors
at first i found engish is really hard to master, but after i met a good friend and he
told me what is the gut issue to learn english well, i finally found my own way to
enjoy studying engilsh. i'll  try my best to work harder and i want to give your guys
who are studying english this sentence: make english be part of your life and enjoy using it.  i hope it will help you a lot.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-12 08:31:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by maxwit at 2006-1-11 19:09
in chinese no clue

we say 我在工作、你在工作、他在工作、她在工作、我们在工作、他们在工作,see there is no such thing in Chinese as the verb using.

I have to say the chinese one is the easiest of them all as long as you' ve already known enough chinese characters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-12 09:39:58 |Display all floors
haha @animalfarmer you got me on that one nice one tough ;)
in spanish trabacho or something like that ;)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-6 02:01:06 |Display all floors

USE ALL TYPES OF TECHNIQUES, ESPECIALLY PRONOUNCIATION

Pronounciation, spelling and timing are essential to using English properly.  For people like the Chinese and Africans who speak 'tonal' languages, it is good to remember English is mono-tonal (basically one tone) EXCEPT FOR AFRICAN-AMERICAN ENGLISH WHICH MAKES USE OF THE 'TONAL' CHARACTERISTICS FOUND IN AFRICAN AND CHINESE LANGUAGES.

One reason why some English songs are difficult for people who speak tonal languages is because when translating, or singing English-language songs, the 'tonal' characteristics have to be taken into account.  

How does one 'translate' the word ''babe' from English to KiKongo (spoken in Zaire) or Chinese, when the word 'babe' can mean ten different things in 'KiKongo' based on how the tone is applied.  In like manner, the word for 'babe' may mean different things in Chinese based on the tone of the word.

The other problem with learning English for some is that English being composed of many different languages may seem confusing to some people because one will find at least four different words for one thing.  

For example, it is possible to find the word for, say a word like 'hand' in the languages Anglo-Saxon (Germanic), French, Latin, Greek, Viking/Norman (the ancestors of many Northern England people), Gaelic and others.  

The word 'hand' is probably Old Anglo-saxon
The word 'le main' is French.
The word 'manual' (by hand) is Latin.  We don't say 'handual'

The word 'mammery' is commonly thought to be Old English, but may be Latin.
But 'mamography' may be a combination of English and Greek, 'graphy' being from Greek.

The word 'paper' is considered to be English.
However on closer look, it is an African word from the Afro-Asiatic (ancient Egyptian language) where 'paper' comes from 'papyru.'

The Greeks (who were colonized by Egypt- before 2000 BC) and who themselves colonized Egypt about 300 BC, may have taken the Egyptian word 'papyru' and turned it to 'papyrus'  while the French turned it into 'papier' and the Spanish, "papel,' while the English said 'paper.'

In like manner, a word that was used to name 'God' in ancient Egyptian is not considered an insulting term by Black people.  

The word is 'N-G-R' (no vowels in ancient Egyptian.

That word is pronounced 'net-ger' which means "God,' THE TERM USED BY THE EGYPTIANS TO CALL THEIR KINGS AND THE 'NATURAL' FORCE.

Note that 'nature' and 'nurture' also comes from the original Egyptian 'net-ger.'

However, the Romans began using the word 'N-G-R' to mean 'Black' hence, they began calling Africans and Blacks living in rome 'Niger.'  Hence, Septimus Niger would mean, "Septimus the Negro.'

The Romans conquered Europe (did not influence greately the languages of Northern Europe) and the terms 'Nero' - Italian, Negre - French, Negro - Spanish  became the local version of the once 'SACRED WORD.'

The English who used to call Blacks 'Black-a-Moors, Moors or 'Ethiopians' (coming from 'Ethiops' the word for 'burnt face' in Greek), began to use the Spanish term "Negro.'  

The slavemasters and colonialists in their attempt to degrade Blacks associated the term 'Nig...' with the worse form of human degredation, slavery, inferiority, oppression and turned the once MOST SACRED NAME IN THE EGYPTIAN LANGUAGE TO THE MOST INSULTING NAME IN ENGLISH.

In fact in the Manding-Kushi language family, SPREAD FROM SENEGAL TO THE SOUTH PACIFIC, the prefix 'Ni' means 'holy' or 'sacred' in this African language family and is applied to names of people, places, dieties, nations.

Hence words like:

N-G-R - Egyptian for 'God'

Net-ger -  Ancient Egyptian, Afro-Asiatic language family (nature) God, Sacred

Net-yer (God, Sacred)
Nkosi - Zulu and Xhosa for 'God'

Negashi - Amharic (Ethiopia) for King
Negus - Ahmaric (Ethiopia) for Emperor

Naga - African, East Indian for 'original' as in 'Nagaloka' or 'Ouid ben Naga," or 'Naga' tribes.  The term Naga was originally used in Sudan/Nubia to refer to Africans there.  Today it is also used to refer to Black Indo-Negroid and Mongol Jat tribal people in India.

Ngola - Emperor, King.  The country name "Angola' means "The King.'

Nya Bingi - A Rastafari term meaning 'High Priest' or High Order.  Nyabingi is one of the many Rastafari Orders in Jamaica, the others are 'Twelve Tribes,' 'BoShanti'

Nugarmarta -  The term used by West Africans of ancient Ghana, Mali and Nok-Wagadu (Ghana culture region 3000 BC to 1400's AD - Most of West Africa, that culture also spread to Mexico and the Southern US in prehistoric times, see http://community.webtv.net/pabarton 'OLMECS' )

Niger - Roman for 'Black/African'  The Romans 'latinized' the term 'Net-ger' after hearing it used as the term for the Nubian Kings.,  However, when the Romans tried to invade Nubia-Kush (Sudan), it was ruled by a line of women Pharoahs called 'Ka-anda'kes' or 'Candaces."

Nero - Italian for 'Black'
Negre - French for Black
Negro - Spanish for Black

The 'N' word - The British slavemasters in their attempt to dehumanize darkskinned people (including those of India, South Pacific, Australia, the Americas, Europe, Africa, Melanesia, SE Asia) used the term as a means of insulting.

Unfortunately, since using this word 'N...' as an insulting term, WHEN IT WAS AND STILL IS A SACRED TERM ( IN RELIGIONS LIKE 'VADU' 'SHANGO' 'ORISHA' USED IN REFERENCE TO PRAYERS), then the British have actually been committing a henious crime against God by insulting his sacred term.

Believe it or not, the term 'Ned jw' is referred to as 'THE SACRED EPITHET' by the ancient Egyptians.  IT MEANS, 'THE NEGROES.'

(See for reference, "Egypt Revisited,' by Ivan Van Sertima  also see "Susu Economics," at AuthorHouse.com )  For quick references go to http://www.cwo.com/~lucumi/runoko.html  and 'MICHAEL JACKSON FOUND NOT.... and check the essay, 'THE HISTORY OF THE 'N' WORD, http://community.webtv.net/paulnubiaempire

In conclusion, we must be aware that in all languages words are used for insulting people. Therefore, those of us who are studying English and learning it SHOULD BE AWARE.

FROM POSITIVE TO NEGATIVE

Now those who are eager to learn ENGLISH must realize that English has been RACIALIZED to make the names and terms of many people sound very insulting.

Here they are:

'Yellow Belly' meaning 'coward.'

Black (add any word) meaning negative (negative) itself is negative and insulting since 'neg' is considered a sacred word in African religions and in Ancient Egypt.  Yet, the English language has degraded it.

Paddy Wagon;  An insulting term 'Paddy' used to refer to Irish people.  The 'wagon' was  a real wagon used in places like New York to pick up Irish people accused of drinking.  That happened late 1800's when the Irish, Blacks, Chinese, American Indians were considered the lowest by the Anglo-Saxon ARISTOCRACY.

Histeria/Hysterical:  Another insulting word used to refer to women being mentally unstable.

A GUIDE TO LEARING TO SPEAK AND PRONOUNCE ENGLISH WORDS:

http://afrikuandikaalphabet.blogspot.com
http://www.afrikuandikaalphabet.blogspot.com

http://learnstopeakenglish.blogsphere.com
http://www.learnstopeakenglish.blogsphere.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-6 02:15:17 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.