Author: kingleo4ever

Why English is tough [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-24 23:30:42 |Display all floors
Self-confidence is essential to learning English!!!!

Do not  keep the idea--"I think that I are not  fit to learn English!!!" in mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-24 23:44:07 |Display all floors

English is tough?

Try learning French! Trying to remember which nouns are "masculine" or "feminine", learn how to conjugate verbs, etc..... Oh joy

Perhaps learning English is difficult for Chinese people. But then again learning Mandarin is not easy for many non-Chinese people as well. Every language is difficult if it is significantly different from your native tongue.

At the end of the day, English isn't really that difficult compared to many others. It is learnt very widely all over the world and is, in many ways, a "universal" language.

By the way, shouldn't this be in the language forums?

[ Last edited by mencius at 2005-12-24 03:46 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-26 11:55:13 |Display all floors

i found...

i found these above instances were similar 2 our ancestor chinese, while i read ShiJi,  verb can be nounlized, also, noun can be verblized. does it true???........haha

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-26 14:47:30 |Display all floors

I felt the same way.

Originally posted by mencius at 2005-12-24 23:44
Try learning French! Trying to remember which nouns are "masculine" or "feminine", learn how to conjugate verbs, etc..... Oh joy

Perhaps learning English is difficult for  ...

agree with mencius!

[ Last edited by tempax at 2005-12-26 02:48 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-30 07:33:23 |Display all floors

How right you are.

After reading what you wrote, I understand how difficult it really is. So many meanings for the same word. I took 4 years of French in grade school, and I can honestly say that I have never had to use it. I still remember how to count and say the alphabet, and a Christmas song, but that is about it. Spanish, well I can hold my own. My friends taught me what I need to know, but again if you do not use it, you will loose it. Learning Mandarin is my goal. There are no classes by me that offer anything of use, just a once a year 2 x week, for 8 week course that is only 2 hours a day. That is only 32 hours of class for the year, and it is the same class each year. So I buy CD disc's and learn what I can. They do teach me the basics, and for me that is the best start. I look forward to helping you out as best I can with English. Have a great day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 11:40:25 |Display all floors
Oh I was SO happy to see that Chinese did not conjugate verbs. And that whole masculine/feminine thing seems pointless to me. No offense to anyone, I just felt like I was doing a lot of memorizing rules, and I'm not good at that.

windy - how far along are you? Did you ever listen to the Pimsluer cd's? I have them, they're great! If you've never heard them maybe I can send you a clip somehow, they're on my computer already.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-31 18:44:01 |Display all floors

Hi Freakyqi.

Thank you very much for the offer. Yes, I do have the his CD's, and also the Dr. Blair's. The Blair CD series is pretty good because it has more than 1 person at the same time learning it. Like a school room sort of setting with a man and woman teacher, and other students answering too. It is all recorded in a story and you learn as you go. Even the speakers on the computer switch from left to right to give the impression of being in a room together. I am learning slow but steady. I practice a couple of hours a day and write it all down, so I think I am off to a good start. Have a good and safe day today, and Happy New Year to you.  Windy.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.