Author: flora_zheng

What are you reading? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-10-22 05:03:49 |Display all floors

Umm

I have read the Da Vinci Code a month ago. I just finished The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald. That was sad.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-30 22:37:20 |Display all floors

Recent Chinese books read - by a foreign student in China

The posts in this section have been very interesting. I was impressed by flora_zheng's rendition of poetry (and her translation of Elizabeth Brownings poem in another thread).
I am a foreign student, currently in Beijing. I am passionately fond of reading, but have not read too many Chinese authors yet. Over the weekend, i have read Mr. Ma and Son by Lao She and "the Jade King" by Huo Da. i found the latter deeply moving, a very sad story, but one that i enjoyed reading. However i don't see much about the author on the web.  Any suggestions on other books that i could read (in their English translations ofcourse!)
All the best.
Wai-Bei

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-1 09:09:05 |Display all floors

How do I love thee was NOT translated by Flora Zheng

Hi , thank you for your comment. But the poem -How do I love thee was not translated by myself. Hmm, I just indicated this in Chinese...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-2 12:46:31 |Display all floors

Thanks for the clarification

Hi!
Sorry, Flora_zheng, for having got it wrong. I realized later that the poem had not been translated by you, but that you had provided the link. Thanks for the clarification.
     I agree with you that Daphne de Maurier's Rebecca is a book that haunts you after you have read it - not so much for what happens, but because of the way its written. Crisp short sentences, and written so as to create an atmosphere of imminent doom!
      The other book that i read of Daphne de Maurier was "Frenchman's Creek" - it was a huge disappointment, after Rebecca - a very facile plot, rather predictable, a very Mills and Boons type story (albeit one with some literary pretensions!).
        The two books by Graham Greene that i enjoyed (re)reading last week were "Our Man in Havana" and the "Heart of the Matter". Greene's novel are great to read because of their wry humour,  bitter sweet endings and quiet satire! And despite the satire, the reader feels sympathy for the characters, who are not perfect human beings, but very much like the rest of us, caught in the whirlwig of life! Probably the greatest novelist of 20th century Britain, or indeed 20th century English literature?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-3 12:21:57 |Display all floors

Greene??

What about Hardy, Joyce, DH Lawrence?  To say nothing of Waugh, Wolfe, and Golding, Heaney, and Murdoch.

And if you cross the pond, well, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Steinbeck seem to leap out at you.

Greene is so solidly second tier as a novelist that we really should not mistake our own enjoyment and affection of a novelist for world class writing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-7 00:33:37 |Display all floors

I agree

"We really should not mistake our own enjoyment and affection of a novelist for world class writing".

I agree totally with your statement above, LSR!!
At least I didn't put forth PG Wodehouse for novelist of the century or Saki (HH Munro) for greatest short-story writer, and George Mikes for greatest philosopher!!

Meanwhile can any one advice me on contemporary Chinese novelists and poets? The ones who are most widely read by young Chinese as well as those who are considered the best by literary critics?
Thanks!
Waibeijing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-8 13:00:28 |Display all floors

I have just read <Sophie's world

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.