Views: 5314|Replies: 6

Recommendation: A Survey about Chinese Peasantry [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-2-5 12:56:43 |Display all floors
900 million out of China’s 1.3-billion population are peasantry. For a long time, however, most of the oppidan are not familiar with the living state of the country. The great family-contract production reform in the late 1970s that shook the world seemed have completely transformed the bleak visage of China’s villages into a better world, with many rich families emerging like bamboo shoots after a spring rain. But with the continuous development of city reforms that followed, little news about Chinese agriculture, villages and farmers were reported until the high tide of millions of farm labors that swarmed into the cities for works at the end of last century once again attracted the worldwide attention.

A Survey about Chinese Peasantry (《中国农民调查》)is a realistic reportage based on three years of arduous, carpet field investigations by the authors -- famous writers Chen Guidi and Chun Tao, the couple -- in all of the villages of Central China’s Anhui province. The collected materials and discarded drafts accumulate nearly as high as full-length, and the difficulties and devious stories incorporated into the survey experience are hard to describe.

China’s modernization will never get accomplished without the modernization of the country. However, if you come near the real lives of Chinese peasantry, you will understand why there is still a long, long way to go. I read through the Survey with tears bubbling in my eyes all the time, and I am sure  you will gain more than tears from Chinese farmers’ fortunes the reportage tells of.

P.S. A Survey about Chinese Peasantry, authored by Chen Guidi and Chun Tao, Dang Dai (当代 ISSN 0257-0165), No 6, 2003, The People’s Literature Publishing House (人民文学出版社). And a separate edition has also been published by the same institution recently in Chinese Mainland.

Huo Wei’an
Beijing

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-5 14:24:50 |Display all floors

concerned

i am very intresting this Survey,
can you share it ?
thanks

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-5 18:10:25 |Display all floors

I have no access to its electronic version

It seems you have to buy the periodical in which the Survey is incorporated or its seperate edition from bookstores, or order it directly from the publishing house.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-6 12:10:18 |Display all floors

my opinion

as far as i know, in provinces of southern china,for example jiangsu ,zhejiang ,farmers are rish as citizens. So ,i think that
if there is a good enviroment for development,capital will come in with high teconoligy. In that way,it will promote rural development.It will be many jobs for out of works.so what the government shall do is letting the  official like a  sevant ,and don't interupt economy

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-7 20:02:47 |Display all floors

To Littlegun: an electronic version of A Survey about Chinese Peasantry

An electronic version of the Survey is available at http://trustme.vip.myrice.com/ .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-11 12:15:13 |Display all floors

IS THE SURVEY OR A SUMMARY AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-11 22:34:02 |Display all floors

Reply: IS THE SURVEY OR A SUMMARY AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH?

Unfortunately, an English version of the Survey or even a summary is not available yet. The Chinese edition contains about 100,000 characters, so an English translation of it can be conceived as a somewhat difficult task.

The Survey has aroused enthusiastic responses from Chinese readers in the mainland since its publication. I hope that both natives and foreign readers good at Chinese who have read it through will share your feelings and opinions here at the forum.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.