Views: 4225|Replies: 3

Making friends joke---English into German [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-9-20 19:21:58 |Display all floors
I've figured out what's 'special annoucement' in the German student's post on CD forum and finally, a joke written by myself.

imagine this text in German
^^^(I want to make friends with the people here. I'm 6 feet tall, 180 lbs weight.)

response--We choose friends by personalites, not by sizes,  because we don't have bed space to entertain friends at home.
^^^^
You can bring along your sleeping bag to sleep in the corridor?
^^^^
I'm afraid my weak-sighted grandpa would kick your ass when he goes to toilet.
^^^^
You don't have a donkey?
-------------
How to translate this into good German?
Altavista translation
Wir wählen Freunde nicht durch Größen, weil wir nicht Bettraum haben Freunde zu Hause unterhalten. Sie können Ihren Schlafsack mitbringen, um im Flur zu schlafen? Ich habe Angst, daß meine Großvater würden treten Ihren Esel schlecht-anvisieren, wenn er zur Toilette geht. Sie haben nicht einen Esel?
(Esel in English is donkey)

Would someone correct my German please.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-24 12:52:57 |Display all floors

zpiqin, zpiqin ...

@ zpiqin

Reading your post I am not sure you figured out what I mean with "special announcements". I mean announcements for a "sexpartner", as there people are making choices according your body shape and so on.

Anyway I will correct your translation:

First, the English word "you" has two meanings in German. A formal and informal meaning.

Between friends or in a relaxed situation, like between people of the same age or with the same interests, and also to people you can call them by there first name  you say "Du" - informal way.
To person you don't know, person of a higer social rank, person who do not tell you to call them by their first name you say "Sie" - formal way.

I will correct it to both situations. The formal one will be within [...].

>>> We choose friends by personalites, not by sizes, because we don't have bed space to entertain friends at home.
Sorry, what do you mean exactly with this sentence? I ask, because for entertainment you do not need "bed space" normally in case you do not mean "special entertainment".

Anyway I try following:
Wir waehlen unsere Freunde nach Charakter und nicht nach deren Groesse, da wir nicht genuegend Betten zum Uebernachten haben.
...in English: "We choose our friends by character and not by their size, because we do not have enough beds for them zu stay overnight." OK?

>>> You can bring along your sleeping bag to sleep in the corridor?
Du kannst deinen Schlafsack mitbringen, um am Flur zu schlafen.
[Sie koennen Ihren Schlafsack mitnehmen, um am Flur zu schlafen.]

>>> I'm afraid my weak-sighted grandpa would kick your ass when he goes to toilet.
Ich befuerchte aber, dass mein schlecht sehender Grossvater Deinen Hintern tritt, wenn er auf die Toilette geht.
[Ich befuerchte aber, dass mein schlecht sehender Grossvater Ihren Hintern tritt, wenn er auf die Toilette geht.]

>>> You don't have a donkey?
Du hast keinen Esel?
[Sie haben keinen Esel?]
I do not know what you mean. I think you wrote "Esel" because you translated "ass" as "Esel" but this is wrong. "Ass" can be translated as "Hintern" (very polite) or "Arsch" (very unpolite).
So, maybe the translation wil be
"Hast Du einen Hintern?
[Haben Sie einen Hintern?]"

However zpiqin, I recommend not to post what you intend to post before it is clear what you want to post in German. And, posting this as answer to the thread you mentioned at the beginning...it's not worth!

Zaijian,

a n d r e a s / 安迪

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-24 18:34:04 |Display all floors

thanks Andreas

for taking the trouble to reply and teaching me German.

the responser knew it's not just making friends. Instead of turning down it bluntly, the responser responded in a humorous way.

no bed space to entertain "friends" at home means :not interested to have sex with the "advertiser"
in addition, telling him no room for him to stay a night neither in case the advertiser would play witticism first.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-9-24 20:05:04 |Display all floors

"no bed space to entertain "friends" at home means :not interested to have sex with the "advertiser"

It does not mean exactly what you think it does mean. "Entertainment" or "entertain" can mean "to have sex", but it must not. It depends on what the reader think about the writer maybe wanted to tell or the reader wants to read from it.
So, if your thinking was such like "to have sex", I would not write "entertain".

Advice:
When people do not know your kind of humor, avoid such statements, because maybe one time somebody feel offended!

Zaijian,
a n d r e a s / 安迪

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.