Views: 5928|Replies: 11

open-source technology is good for both china and the u.s. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-1-13 23:01:29 |Display all floors
purpose of this post: i want to encourage chinese nationals to study information technology!  

open-source software (such as linux) is created by volunteer communities of developers and is basically free.  companies make money on open-source by selling services, not the product.  governments like open-source software because it is not controlled by any company, such as microsoft.

this is an interesting article on linux adoption by the chinese government:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_02/b3865045.htm

WHY OPEN-SOURCE TECHNOLOGY WILL BENEFIT BOTH CHINA AND THE U.S.

chinese companies and governments do not have to pay software licenses for open-source products.  they are not bound by restrictive contracts to foreign companies.  because the source code (engineering) of the product is open, chinese developers will be able to share and gain knowledge and contribute to a better product.  open-source is completely legal.

the u.s. will be able to sell valuable services in its domestic market.  currently, u.s. technology companies are outsourcing more and more of their product development and manufacture overseas to india and china.  the only thing left for them to "produce" locally is services, such as business and technology consulting and integration services.  this is the strategy that ibm is adopting.  

while u.s. software development jobs continue to flow out of the country to india and china, greater adoption of open-source technology will create new u.s. technology services jobs in the domestic market.  

u.s. and chinese companies both will have more effective, low-cost, non-proprietary tools to increase productivity in their countries.  greater productivity will result in better standards of living for citizens, not to mention new services and products made possible by open-source technology!

if any young chinese are interested by this scenario, i would suggest that you start investigating the field of information technology.  you will be doing your country a great service.

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-14 09:52:56 |Display all floors

yeah,but

yes ,you are right if both countries open their door and enhance the tie between  them. more comunication ,more understanding; more understanding ,less misunderstanding."you cant live without others, because you are living in the humanbeings society!". that is also applied in the technology field.
however ,ever coin has two sides, the opening also has its own limits!(in some sense).the country's interest first concerned in the process of the foreige affairs. that is the key.
as common people ,no matter the chinese people or the us people , the last topic is development and the peace of the world. folk interaction are incresing day by day. but others are controled  by the government of the us,
what they can do is just try  their best   to break the ice made by the governor! for instance now, the delegation sent to the north kkk

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-15 09:48:39 |Display all floors

I asked Linus to get rid of his copyright! If you believe in freedom, you should

I demanded Linus and Microsoft do get rid of the copyrights for Linux and NT, respectively. (He is a member of Transmeta, an anti-computing company, just like Microsoft!) They never replied. Why worship Linux? It is another form of UNIX, even the Linus-worshippers say that, no matter how many times they try to censor it. Do you know that the supporters of Linux are BIG companies, just as the supporters of NT? I don't support NT of Linux-they just keep the old duopoly alive! Why not Hopenos for computing, or does nobody care? Break up the conglomerates! Maybe you worship SONY as it supports Linux! Sorry, but the "ost-PC era" will bring in a form of slavery bigger than that of Microshaft! (the embedded Linux community really wants the Post PC lie!)
http://www.ucsf.edu/acss/cgi-bin/bbs/master.cgi?action=ViewPost&post=8&location=Research&collapse=&user=
http://www.ucsf.edu/acss/cgi-bin/bbs/master.cgi?action=ViewPost&post=9&location=Research&collapse=&user=
www.riscos.org
www.go-l.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-15 22:50:00 |Display all floors

pirate linux?

why do you need to pirate linux?  you can download and modify it for free?

anyway, i was commenting on open-source technology, of which linux is just one part.  i think that the idea of non-proprietary technology is very beneficial to all involved because it allows many more people and organizations to access the technology, enabling them to create more value instead of having to pay to get the tools.

there is nothing stopping chinese people from creating their own open-source projects as well.  the idea is what is important.

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-24 19:25:41 |Display all floors

i agree and await the outcome

I have read where Chinese and other Asian governments are cooperating on IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) and PC OS (personal computer Operating System) open-source technology.  

It will be interesting to see how that works out in the bigger scheme of things.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-26 23:38:35 |Display all floors

there are threats, gunnyspice

for example, that "recommended" post promoting the evd standard for disc video.  being the natural capitalists they are, some chinese see short-term commercial opportunity in their growing technological influence.  if they use their market power plus centralized government to promote closed or proprietary solutions, they will eventually harm themselves in the future.  

open standards and open source technology are agnostic to politics, but beneficial to commerce and other issues of government concern, such as security.

ts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-5-12 13:52:41 |Display all floors

Open source is freeware, not public domain!

Linus still owns the copyright!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.