Author: teressa

Family Value vs. Freedom Spirit [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-7-5 11:14:49 |Display all floors

last

Taiwan is always a hot button. China claims the self-governing island as part of its territory and threatens to reclaim it by force if Taiwan's government moves toward formal independence. The United States is nominally pledged to come to Taiwan's aid in event of war.

The battle over Unocal has injected yet another factor into this already volatile relationship ahead of a planned visit to Washington by Chinese President Hu Ji n ta o this fall.

But analysts say the issue has thus far produced little that could alter the relationship between the two governments, because Beijing has grown sophisticated at distinguishing between rhetoric from Capitol Hill -- where Thursday's resolution was nonbinding -- and policy from the White House, which has said little on the subject.

But whatever comes of the Unocal battle, tensions over Chinese investment are probably only beginning. Just as a rising Japan in the 1980s snapped up high-profile assets in the United States and provoked widespread American unease, China's expanding horizons are having a similar effect.

Moreover, key differences between Japan of that era and current-day China could make this go-round more combustible: Japan was a U.S. military ally and part of the same ideological bloc, whereas China is viewed by many in Washington as an adversary.

But the simplest reason for tension may be the amount of cash at China's disposal: As investment pours in and China's central bank buys dollars to maintain the value of its currency, the country has amassed $650 billion in foreign exchange reserves. China has plowed much of that money into U.S. Treasury bonds.

But the quest for Unocal and other foreign companies is being construed by some as a sign of diversification.

"We invest too much in U.S. federal bonds, and they don't make us much money," said Pan Rui, a professor at the Center for American Studies at Fudan University in Shanghai. "Now we're learning to invest more wisely, to try to invest in American companies and industries."

(end)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-5 11:30:46 |Display all floors

hey, you know what?

Its our country and we can do whatever the hell we want.How is it OUR fault that we created our own businesses and want to protect them from Chinese management? It is nothing personal against the Chinese, you are perceiving it that way. How would you like it if the Japanese started buying up all your business for example? Stop complaining about what Americans do and focus on yourself for a change.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-5 14:16:32 |Display all floors

mmm

"I believe they were still in the caves mating randomly with their own family members."

We Chinese are so smart, we insult stupid foreigners for living in caves when in 2005...

www.china04.com/ report/xian.html

"It was interesting to see them keeping a horse inside it and in contrast to the cave home that we saw near Louyang, it was clearly used for agricultural life and not just as a tourist attraction"

http://www.photofactory.nl/foto%20pages/China/cave%20dwellers.htm

"eople in the province of Shanxi live in cavedwellings on the slopes of the dry hills."

Further pictures of Chinese cave dwellings from this source: http://www.arch.mcgill.ca/prof/schoenauer/arch528/lect03/n03.htm

http://www.arch.mcgill.ca/prof/schoenauer/arch528/lect03/b55.jpg
http://www.arch.mcgill.ca/prof/schoenauer/arch528/lect03/b91.jpg

Wow, you're all so clever with your insults and your knowledge of modern China is just immense.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-5 16:22:52 |Display all floors

Teresa - I saw the good behaviour "filial" and Quality Old Age when

i saw two old senior citizens talking so freely besides the bridge near Sichuan bridge in Shanghai. It was evening,about 8pm and they were smiling without a care for the world!!!

Off course, i would encourage those with something to help others
as before i left, it was drizzilling and i saw an old lady. She saw my eyes and cried,nothing to eat. I say no worry and gave her some money to be on her way.

Normally for Westerner, the booze spoils the old age.

I see China is a huge country and it is ok to live in caves
if that develops into "enlightenment". I was always looking for that.

Kind regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-6 17:56:18 |Display all floors

Collectivism and patriotism developed from "Family value"

Family is the center of Chinese life, it's where they grow up, where their major social connections build up, where their career centered, where they receive education. Family is the most thing they try to protect, to nurse, to prosper, it is the core of their life. Chinese are generally educated with "courtesy, commitment, piety, honesty, loyalty, courage" in a family at their young age, and these spirits has formed a nations' soul, which for thousands of years encourages the people of this nation to hold together and fight for the country. These virtues nourished collectivism and patriotism, and Chinese were developed a cohesive people since its early history. A vivid picture drawn by this culture is a united, strong and prosperous China, through almost every period of history! So the present day Chinese generation can read the glorious history of this people from myriad literatures and documents. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-6 22:41:30 |Display all floors

teressa

Thanks for another wonderful post.

I am interested.

How do you think of collectivism?

You know, collectivism is sometimes not a good word if it is related to DaGuoFan.

Thanks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-7 03:02:16 |Display all floors

ubersuave if u dont like china

then leave simple as that if u dont like these nationalistic ppl then dont try to be sarcastic making ppl think u hate this country even tho u prob think its not personal but it seems so to me

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.