Views: 4468|Replies: 12

When woman does better than man [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-6-29 15:28:04 |Display all floors
A good friend of mine told me that in his family  the  wife does better than the husband, which means the wife  has better job , earns  more  money, has many more friends and much higher  social station. He said he could barely stand the situation.But what could he do? Obviously he hasn't enough chances now.   
I really don't know what can I do for him.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-30 09:51:13 |Display all floors

My thoughts on this...

In my marriage, I was the money earner in England and my wife was just finishing university. I worked around 12 hours a day and didn't really get to see as much as I'd like of my wife. I used to travel around a lot and meet lots of people which sometimes caused a little bit of jealousy.

Now we're living in China the roles have reversed somewhat. We both run the same company but as she's the one who speaks fluent Chinese, she's the one who has to travel around a lot. Although I do my part in terms of sitting at a computer all day churning out software, she does the real money winning work by closing sales and getting the money in.

Any relationship has value which passes just money and material things. We are both very happy with these roles because I can do something she can't do and she does something I can't do. Without each other though we'd both do nothing.

As for your friend, does he have children? You may find the wife's desire to be at home with the children outweighs the man's desire to be the main money earner. However it is unfair to the both of them if the wife gives up the opportunities she has.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-30 09:53:24 |Display all floors

Again, jealousy

Just like a lot of people on here are jealous and racist against americans and westerners, the same thing can be said for chinese men and women. What is so wrong with the woman making more money? Maybe the man is just insecure and jealous that he is too lazy and stupid to make as much money as the woman? A relationship should be a partnership, and it should not matter who makes more money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-30 10:08:45 |Display all floors

Jealousy?

Although basically you've got a point, I think the key point is that society dictates that the man must provide for the woman. I'm not saying it's right, it's just how it is and it's understandable that he can feel the pressure from the situation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-30 10:12:47 |Display all floors

There are many "House Husbands" in America and it is not ashame to be one !

My best friend is taking his faternity leave for six months at home taking care the new born, what's wrong?

Men can be the caretaker at home? Women can be the wage-earners !!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-30 10:13:20 |Display all floors

maybe you are right Kerosene

Maybe it is pride instead of jealousy? I think you are right, society says that usually a man should make more. So maybe the man feels less important, in that scenario. Still that is wrong. Back in the days of Jesus, the woman was actually considered more powerful becuase she had that ultimate power: the ability to bear children.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-30 10:24:54 |Display all floors

re: House husbands

That change was quite a recent one in America and still not accepted in all parts. I'll be the first to say I don't know what Chinese men generally think if they see another Chinese man at home looking after the baby so I can't really offer any advice.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.