The traffic in many chinese cities [Copy link] 中文

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-1-2 10:34:21 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-2 11:35:56 |Display all floors

Welcome to China ;-)

If you are thinking of places to move to:

* The traffic in Germany is probably the most disciplined in the world.

* Belgium and France are somewhere in the middle between Germany and China.

* Albania and Iraq are probably the worst.

More seriously speaking, a countries' traffic, as a rule of thumb, is a fairly good indicator of how important it is felt to abide by rules and regulations.   Chinese just happen to appriciate a healthy dose of flexibility ;-)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-2 11:41:27 |Display all floors

Cultural differences extend to driving too

In China the rule is if someone is in front of you then you must watch out for them. Whatever is behind you is of no importance.

In many ways this does make it a lot easier to cross a road or get out into heavy traffic because you can just do it, and everyone else will ease off enough to let you in. Very cooperative and no-one seems to mind too much when others do very crazy things like drive on the wrong side of the road or on the foorpath or anywhere.

One thing that will have to change though is that bus drivers need to realise that they are no longer the only vehicles on the road and that cars are here to stay.

In the west, the onus is on you to make sure that there is enough room to pull out into traffic of cross the road without forcing the other driver to slow down or swerve.. It is a completely diferent philosophy. One is cooperative and the other is individualistic.

They both have their advantages or disadvantages but I know a westerner would need to be very careful driving in China until he got used to the difference -- and a CXhinese driving in the west would have to be equally careful.

In May the road rules in China will change and from then on the driver who hits a pedestrian will almost always get into trouble even if the pedestrian is is doing something stupid. Pedestrians also have this view that they can walk around without taking any care but like the bus drivers, they have to realise that things have changed and traffic is a lot heavier and a lot faster -- And people are becoming a lot less patient and considerate, not only in china but all over.

Use magic tools Report

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-1-2 22:18:46 |Display all floors

i also heard

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-3 10:12:09 |Display all floors

Cooperative-individualistic?

Tony Lee does have a point, but is not so simple.

If you want to change lanes in China and are foolish enough to use the indicator lights more often than not the guy behind you will step on it to remove any maneuvring space you may have had.   Not so cooperative...

On the other hand it's true it's not *completely* the law of the jungle here - there are rudiments or orderly behaviour.   Let' s fan those sparks, shall we?

That's why I keep on using the indicator lights.  Call it the missionary in me ;-)

Use magic tools Report

bchung has been deleted
Post time 2004-1-3 14:05:40 |Display all floors

oooh i was just watching cctv news

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-5 17:05:29 |Display all floors

Traffic is a big problem in China

It is true the traffic in China is getting worse and worse. This is a problem we all can see, and it tells us that the situation of law enforce system in China.

However, some of the cities are ok, some are just horrible.
The worst traffic I have ever seen is Henan province, no rule at all,
The best one is Dalian, then Shanghai, Beijing is very bad, Tianjing is nightmare.

China is building so many highways, but the trafiic, seems nobody in the government cares. And if you haave look at the heavy over loaded trucks--they break the brand new roads everyday! but seems nobody cares.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.