Spoken English Test [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-5-11 16:40:15 |Display all floors

Thanks a lot!

shirp0718@163.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-11 17:28:57 |Display all floors

Jason759: Demo Test Sent!

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I've emailed you a copy of the demo test along with the instructions.

Please read my email and the instructions before taking the test.

Good Luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-11 17:44:17 |Display all floors

Shirp0718: Demo Test Sent!

Hi Shirp,

Thanks for your email. I've just emailed the demo test to you. Please read my email and the instructions before you commence the test.

Good Luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-11 18:01:06 |Display all floors

thanks

my email: cindyhj@hotmail.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-11 18:33:59 |Display all floors

Neilhrd: Answers to your Questions...Finally!

Hi Neil,

My answers to your questions. Don't hold your breath.

Your Qn:
Is this test only available to individuals?
Ans:
Different verisons of this test are also available to primary schools, high schools, colleges, universities, language training schools (entry requirements, tracking student progress, assessing the effectiveness of course/teachers etc) and also to companies (hiring, promotion decisions, assessing the effectiveness of language training etc)

Qn:
Or can it be used by a language school for assessing either students or applicants for employment as Chinese teachers of English?
Ans:
Yes it can. This test was developed primarily to assess non-native speakers' spoken English ability.
To further elaborate, the prototype versions of this test (back in 1997) were administered in a series of validation studies to over 4,000 native and non-native speakers. The native norming group comprised of literate adults geographically representative of the US population aged 18 to 50 and was 18% African-American. Over 40 different languages were represented in the non-native norming group, including Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Arabic, Spanish, French and Italian. Ages ranged from 17 to 79.

Because of the introduction of several modifications to the test in the current version, a number of additional validation studies were performed. These studies used a native norming group from the the US and the UK (66% USA, 33% UK, ages 18-75) and a non-native group of speakers from a number of countries in Asia, Europe and South America (ages 12 to 56)

To sidetrack a little here, the above studies show that native speakers of English consistently obtain high scores. Fewer than 5% of the native sample scored below 68. Learners of English as a second language or foreign language, on the other hand, are distributed over a wide range of test scores. Note that only 5% of the non-native speakers scored above 68.

Qn:
If there are no copyright problems with using it in a language school then I would be interested in receiving a copy.
Ans:
There would be absolutely no copyright problems with it.

There are well over 100,000 individual test items in our test item pool. Each test is unique in the sense that individual test items are randomly selected by the testing system. However, having said that, the tests that I'm handing out at this forum are all demo tests ie the demo tests are all identical.

Hope this helps. Feel free to shoot more questions about the test my way.

Cheers!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-11 18:40:48 |Display all floors

Cindyhj: Demo Test Sent!

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for you reply. I've emailed you the demo test along with the demo. Please read my email and the instructions before taking the test.

Good Luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-11 20:48:29 |Display all floors

hey,hey

don't forget me, mine: beryl-xiaoyi@163.com
thank you

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.