Views: 6626|Replies: 13

Should I use English or Chinese name [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-4-25 12:55:33 |Display all floors
hey all, I am new to this community !  I am an ABC and am about to migrate to China for work.  I am fluent in Chinese but am essentially western in my way of thinking.  In China, I was wondering if I should introduce myself to my staff and strangers using my Chinese or English name ?  I think it would be more proper and make people more comfortable if I use my Chinese name but I am used to my English name (used it all my life outside of family) and my boss in the States uses my English name. Do you think it would be arrogant or rude if I ask people to use my English name ?  Would they regard me as a 'laowai' ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-25 13:53:48 |Display all floors

I guess it depends on what kind of environment you will be working in.

For instance, if it is an international company, then it is quite normal for people to use English names, regardless of overseas and local staff.  If you are working in a local company where people don't speak much English, then maybe you can consider using your Chinese name, but it is not a must. After all, you will still be regarded as an American, in spite of the fact that you speak Chinese perfectly.

I think it is not a big deal as what name you should use. Maybe you are too nervous about coming to work in China. Just relax!

p.s. I had several overseas Chinese colleague from Cananda, Australia, Malaysia, Hongkong and they all use their English names (if any).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-25 16:17:11 |Display all floors

Its a local subsidiary of an MNC

Thanks for that.  Also, I heard that PRC Chinese don't like overseas born Chinese? My friends tell me that PRC Chinese are jealous of overseas Chinese and resent their so-called privileged backgrounds ?  I have been to China a few times for work in my old job and didn't really encounter that but then again, I only stayed for short periods of time and was in an MNC with a large foreign mix.  this time I am going to be in a senior position as the only non-local Chinese !  Its making me a little nervous !  I have always enjoyed my experiences in China so far and love learning the culture (a bit like self-discovery for me and understanding my parents background a lot better !) but this  is going to be a whole new challenge for me...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-25 16:34:01 |Display all floors

reply :

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-25 16:37:16 |Display all floors

reply: i am very agree with u

what your said is very reasonable . you should be  a sophisticated guy in the real life . i adire you ---------your deepside view,and the ability to deal with things ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-25 17:24:27 |Display all floors

re:

Well, what you have heard might be true with your friends, but it's not necessarily something in general in China. From my experience, the local guys have quite good work relations with overseas Chinese and there's no such things as jealousy of their backgrounds.

But of course there are Chinese and Chinese, just like there are Americans and Americans. I'd rather see it as a matter of individuals, not really a matter of nationalities. People with good personality is always welcome, no matter where he is.

I think there are other problems that you should pay attention to in stead. For example, you may find the work ethics here in China is quite different from that in the U.S. As a senior management, you should approach this carefully and flexibly and with good tactics. Well, I believe you will find your way to deal with it.

Just want you to take it easy about coming to China. So in short, yes, you will encounter some cultrual problems. But don't be scared and try not to generalize things. Try to understand people and let people understand your values. As long as there's a common understanding, things can be worked out.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-8 14:06:59 |Display all floors

relax

take it easy and have fun here in China. forget other people's past experiences, they may be right, they may be wrong, you are here to explore.
my advice: in China or elsewhere, take the lead in terms of interacting with peoples, and try to create certain environment the way u like it to be. Be highly-motivated and work on it.
Best luck, a local guy CBC(China Born Chinese).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.