Views: 3241|Replies: 3

about(not until) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-12-14 14:25:28 |Display all floors
as we all know,it was not until the problem was solved.
大家指点,我突然糊涂了,这个意思是问题直到```问题解决了/还是没有解决。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-14 17:20:48 |Display all floors

can't help with the translation, but I have a question about -

the expression "As we all know". It drives me crazy to hear that because it is never true that we all know. It is a bit like "in a word", which is then followed by 50 words.

Is this an accurate translation from the Chinese?

("not until" -- sounds right -- depending on the rest of the sentence, but as I said, I am only going on what sounds OK idiomatically, not actually translating.  Wish i could though)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-15 01:38:43 |Display all floors

问题解决了.

The tense here is the past tense (was). So, 问题解决了.

“As we all know” is a common English expression. After Tony lee points out that it drives him crazy, I wish it were not English.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-16 01:15:22 |Display all floors

Misuse of expressions

"As we all know" is intended for situations where, actually, everyone does know. For example at a birthday party:

"As we all know, it's Tony's birthday today, and so we have ......"

If you just started the speech with the statement "It's Tony's birthday today" it would sound very abrupt and childish. Using "As we all know" puts emphasis on the fact that we are here as a group.

"In a word" is likewise a useful expression, and used correctly it IS only followed by one word!

"You have asked me to provide you with an explanation of my actions. The real explanation should be why you have the right to know! Do you? In a word, no."

This has the effect of really showing the listener that the person speaking is very, very annoyed. The speaker doesn't think that any more than one word should be required.

Misused, these are ugly phrases. "As we all know" has a tendancy to sound coercive if everyone doesn't. And "in a word" should _never_ be followed by more than a single word!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.