Author: twchinese

Taiwan's reactions to the anti-secession law are unnecessary [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-3-15 14:21:24 |Display all floors

the damage done

Much has been said about the new law. It is something that has to be done. It is a show of people’s will. It is making a statement. It solidifies a desire to act, to do something to counter all the moves Taiwan is making toward separation. Of course, it is all of the above and some other points to be scored. And, not surprisingly, it is going down well for China’s internal consumption. But make no mistakes, if we are allowed to take a more pragmatic view, there are serious damages done. I am talking about damage in the area that really matters – peace. If peace is the goal, like those in the leadership and many on this forum like to claim, this is not the direction we are supposed to be going. It seems most people are more interested in providing lip service then seeing steps taken toward peace. Posturing feels good and chest pounding is all that I see

By codifying policies already existed, the new law would no doubt limit the maneuvering room for all parties involved, the room that may be needed in future contact. Considering the gridlock we are in today, the hope of peace is really about exploring possibilities. For things to happen, we need an environment that breeds outside-the-box thinking and ‘never say never’. Definitely not to unilaterally set more rules of conduct that may end up bind our own feet. Some of the things unthinkable only one or two decades ago have now become daily practice. Time changes and policies can be made to adapt in a way a law cannot. The job of finding common ground has been hard enough. It just became so much harder now. Some of the policies were already rigid to start with. What is the wisdom of casting them into stone?

What troubles me the most may also prove to be the real damage this law has done to the prospect of peace - it destroyed the platform of one of the political forces in Taiwan that could be responsible for bringing two sides closer. Their platform is sold on the premise that CCP is reasonable enough to negotiate with, which has always been doubtful in people’s mind even at the best of time. But now, given another chance to demonize China, that premise is basically vanished. To understand this point, one has to dispel the wrong notion that, in Taiwan, anyone who is not with Tai du must be pro-China. In fact, Taiwan has been dealt with harshly for such a long time, no one wish to be seen with an outright pro-China stance. And much more so for any political figures, regardless of which camp he or she is with.

I am not for Tai du, if it is not apparent. There is another usual misconception needs to go: you are Tai du if you don’t agree with the CCP's policy. It is this black and white, no middle ground ideology that make China unapproachable, politically, from Taiwan’s standpoint. Few understand the frustration of the group of population in Taiwan who do not approve of Tai du, and even fewer lend them any hand. For so long, they found no counterpart in China to meet them in the middle. Guess what? The carpet is slipping from underneath of them with the new law’s passing. If they go, so goes the force that can keep things in check.

Talking heads on TV keep telling us the law is aimed at Tai du, not Taiwanese people in general and Beijing is still counting on people in Taiwan to eventually push for a peaceful return. How can they be taken seriously while passing a law that severely weaken the hand of those most likely to deliver their wishes? It made me wonder how much  they understand the people in Taiwan and political landscape there. Speaking of understanding, I sense a general lack of even the aspiration to understand. After all, why do 13 billions have to be concerned with how the 23 millions think? The answer is quite simple - peace.

When I think about how the new law might act as a warning shot in the international arena and the increased tension to follow, odds are an accelerated arms buildup in the region will be underway. Something we definitely do not want to see if peace is our ultimate goal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-15 17:57:21 |Display all floors

mmmm

I believe ther's no reason to come up with the word"anti-secession".
Why?
tw is part of China! Where does this "anti-secession" come from?
Then why is it  out there?
because some pple are very eccentric in behaviors!

I guess this gentleman above read the right script,grasped the wrong concept!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-15 21:53:16 |Display all floors

yes! damage has been done!

"I am not for Tai du, if it is not apparent. There is another usual misconception needs to go: you are Tai du if you don’t agree with the CCP's policy. It is this black and white, no middle ground ideology that make China unapproachable, politically, from Taiwan’s standpoint. Few understand the frustration of the group of population in Taiwan who do not approve of Tai du, and even fewer lend them any hand. For so long, they found no counterpart in China to meet them in the middle. Guess what? The carpet is slipping from underneath of them with the new law’s passing. If they go, so goes the force that can keep things in check."

The damage has been done in the sense that even the non-Taiduers now feel threatened and that the common ground they have been seeking with the CCP is losing foundation.

The exact wording of the anti-secession law leaves politicians and scholars of different interests with ample room for interpretation. Certain groups of people with ulterior motives can explain the law however they like... and that's where the danger lies!!! China has once again failed to appreciate Taiwan's political and media enviornment... and the Taiduers will continue to use this to their advantage. In the same token, Beijing can also interpret Taiwan's actions and reactions according to the law in whatever way that serves their interest best. It therefore makes me wonder if the CCP is indeed preparing for an attack in the near future regardless of whether Taiwan's status quo remains....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-15 22:53:26 |Display all floors

Anti Secession law

Huh?

"I believe ther's no reason to come up with the word"anti-secession".
Why?
tw is part of China! Where does this "anti-secession" come from?
Then why is it out there?
because some pple are very eccentric in behaviors!

I guess this gentleman above read the right script,grasped the wrong concept!"

That is the correct wording, anti secession law. It is all over every single news report in the free world, about this issue. Moreover, those words are way out there now, and you can't take them back.

I do not know if you all are just naive in the ways of the rest of the world, but in these parts saying that you are ready to go to war, almost always means there will be one. That is what makes people rise up and take notice. This law is very poorly directed, because it is much more likely to cause problems then to solve them,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-16 03:50:48 |Display all floors

careful

Maybe you're right, Robbie. There is no reason to use these terms....

However, we can never know what Chen Shui-Bien is up to cause he is quite mad, so it is good not to let him free..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-16 16:31:57 |Display all floors

You are a clever dick!

>>but in these parts saying that you are ready to go to war, almost always means there will be one. That is what makes people rise up and take notice. This law is very poorly directed, because it is much more likely to cause problems then to solve them,<<

Aren't you too previous to assume that we are ready to go to war?
Have you solved any problems so far?
It just seems so odd that you guys who actually have been causing problems all the time now has the nerve to accuse us!
What a supreme irony!(grin)
Your post here must have solved many problems

I suggest you mind your wording towards me. It's not making  me feel well!

Thanx

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-16 22:56:13 |Display all floors

Robbie...take two aspirins and post tomorrow

I hope you are feeling better.

To call the man from Taiwan as mad sounds very phony to people in the West. Is it mad to want to keep "the vote"? Is it mad to have so many more freedoms than China mainland has? Is it mad to want to be free from a one party system?
What's mad is that China's government tries to hold onto power and go the opposite direction of the world. What is mad is that China's government instead of learning from Taiwan is bent on destroying them.
What's mad is the Chinese people should be thanking the people from Taiwan and hold them up as liberators.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.