Views: 10826|Replies: 24

Questions about Marriage between Foreigners and Chinese [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-3-5 09:48:56 |Display all floors
I will be getting married this July to a wonderful Chinese woman my age.  I live and work in the south and she lives and works in the north of China.  Her employer, however, is not exactly too overjoyed about this, telling her that if she marries a foreigner, she is not "true Chinese", etc.  I'm sure people have heard these things, before.

We will be going to Canada after the wedding for a little honeymoon, but her employer doesn't want to give her leave, so that she can get her passport and visa.  She's been working for the same employer (a school) for 22 years, and has built a nice little pension for herself.  The school, of course is threatening her with her job and her pension, if she goes through with this, as they call it, "irresponsible and un-chinese-like marriage".

Any comments/suggestions?

Also:

What is this I am hearing about private marriages not being recognized?  We don't want a big wedding, with the celebrations, and the fireworks, etc.  We just want something quiet and private.

Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-5 09:59:58 |Display all floors

why not??

why not let your fiancee quit the job,it's not a big problem.

while her colleague looks down upon your interracial marriage,you will be also blessed by others,and also the GOD will bless you two,just ignore that unwise person!!

Have a good wedding and sweet honeymoon!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-5 10:13:38 |Display all floors

That's a problem, too.

If she quits her job, she loses her pension.  She only has 2 years to go before she can collect it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-5 10:27:10 |Display all floors

cmknight, I would recommend you two to stay in CHINA for two more years !

I understand your situation very clearly and I would like you to win them over by learning Chinese to a level of native Chinese speaker level.

Dress like a Chinese instead of a Canadian or Westerner.

Learn how to use chopsticks and stay "low key".

There is not much difference between an American and a Canadian but a Brit speaks with very different accent and you can tell right the way when a Brit or Aussie speaks but you could not really differentiate between an American and a Canadian (except if the American comes from the South !)

Time can win friends over and be patient and time goes by very fast !

martha Stewart served five months in prison and got out ! So love can wait and good luck to you !!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-5 10:41:19 |Display all floors

wed in your own style

The traditional  wedding is  very  busy  and memorable . It seems  to make fun for  others  . Maybe it  could  satisfy  the groom and  bride with  peacockery , and share their joy with friends and families , but it  really  makes them  very  tired and  afflicted . Why we alway  have to  satisfy others even when it is  my own wedding , I  feel restrained  for it .  I  prefer the free air and private space to enjoy the love.

in my  eyes , it is the best to  celebrate the wedding in  style . Which style  just up to you two.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-5 10:50:44 |Display all floors

oh......

but don't you think HAPPINESS MARRIAGE is more important than anything else??

Quit the present joband find another one at the right time after your wedding and honeymoon,your fiancee will be paid the pension in the new school,won't she??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-5 10:55:28 |Display all floors

Pension

No she won't.  The school she is at is part of a Steel Company,and it's a coompany pension plan.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.