Author: urbexer

Chinese girls and money [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-2-16 14:46:45 |Display all floors

mmm

The only thing that has kept us foreign teachers in China with a high income is that  fact that we are used to a relatively higher standard of living and won't accept less.  

Nowhere else in the world do foreign English teachers earn 3 or 4 times the local teachers' wages.  Our wages will and have plateaued and will continue to do so as general living standards rise.  

Foreigners will simply have to get used to not being super rich in China anymore.   I don't have a problem with that.  

Women who like money are worthless, there are better ones.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-16 15:08:00 |Display all floors

food for thought

The only thing that has kept us foreign teachers in China with a high income is that fact that we are used to a relatively higher standard of living and won't accept less.

True. But define a relatively higher standard of living. I have friends who live in small, damp bedsits in the UK... simply because they can't afford anything more, or live in shoddy council properties. I know that doesnt make them poor by chinese standards, but when i have seen the quality of life and apartments that foreigners and chinese alike can have here in Shenzhen and other big cities in China, i feel ashamed of my part of England, the squalor and poorness of life that there is, compared to a supposedly developing country...But i do appreciate SZ, GZ beijing and shanghai are not representative of all of China, just as certain parts of england don't represent all the UK.

Nowhere else in the world do foreign English teachers earn 3 or 4 times the local teachers' wages. Our wages will and have plateaued and will continue to do so as general living standards rise.

I can accept that figures for foreign teachers salaries have plateaued, totally. What i cant accept is that we earn 3 or 4 times the local teachers, that would mean at my school the local teachers only get 1,500 yuan a month based on me earning three times as much (there, my salary is not exactly magnificent...so you see i am poor!)

Foreigners will simply have to get used to not being super rich in China anymore. I don't have a problem with that.

I can accept that. the days of an egalitarian china, and workers of the world unite, are long gone. We should accept it too...

Women who like money are worthless, there are better ones.

True there are. But a lot do like the money regardless, even if they dont openly admit it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-16 17:47:36 |Display all floors

I would like to say something

well I hope I can take part in this discussion about the relationship and some other things between chinese girls and money,
First,I am a girl,a native girl,you can see it clearly from the inexperience words of mine.And some times,perhaps I will make some mistakes as well. But I think it time for me to say someting for the Chinese girls this time.
We are living in a much happier time then our parents were.So most of us never suffer from the feeling of hunger.And in most of our past life time,our parents protect us very well that we don't need to think more about the food and shelter.But even so,we dream of better life when we are still very young.We enjoy the life in flourish circumstance  when we watching TV,and sometimes,we contact the magazine which tell us which is the most popular thing and what we should have if we want to to be richer. So we all have our dream of better life and many other things, we want to achieve success as well as the boys do.
But as we never have the chance to live in the past time like our parents had and we are sometimes a little lazy.So some of us pay more attention  to the money and status of the boy when she chooses a boyfriend.And some of us don' t work as hard as she should be to get something she wanted and instead,she would do something that is not that good.
But I think money is very important ,we need money to make our life become better and better. On the other hand ,every coins have two sides,we can never criticize all the girls in China if only some of them had done something that is not so right.
Please be more equitable and see the phenomenon in China fairly.

My English is not as good as the people upstairs, and I know I have made some mistakes when I wrote all these.But I just want to say something from the bottom of my heart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-16 18:49:16 |Display all floors

Urbexer

I think you need to get out of Shenzhen mate.  It's not representative of China at all.  
Most of the girls you meet are not from Shenzhen.  They have moved there from other provinces.  Why?  Of course, for the money.

I'm not from a big city in the U.K.  It sounds like you aren't either.  That's why living in a smallish city in Henan Province didn't hold any fears for me.  I've been to Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, and I honestly wouldn't want to live in any of them.
I think you should consider moving to another place when your contract is up.  Don't let Shenzhen give you a bad impression of China.
The people (and especially the girls) are much friendlier in the provinces.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-16 19:36:52 |Display all floors

interesting comments

Well said cinderellajj, your English is more than adequate, and you have given the discussion another dimension.........that of how things have changed, and how quickly they have changed.

I was in ShenZhen last year, I think as cities go it is a really nice place, I loved the parks and gardens etc, and I thought the living was cheap , even a 5 star hotel was cheap by international comparisons.  I was puzzled though by the contrasts, of 7 series BMW's gleaming in the sun outside offices, with bicycles towing trailers full of gas cylinders.

The attitude of one particular chinese lady I came across (an interpreter) was interesting: she had a relatively good job, I believe, yet spent 120% of her income on things like expensive european designer clothes,  Ironically they were probably stiched up around the corner in LongGang!  I had the impression she hoped her fine attire would attract a suitably wealthy BMW driver.

Anyway, appearance (of being rich) seemed to be the most important thing to her, and she had a very proud manner.  I had the impression she thought a rich American guy was just around the corner waiting for her. Yet she was in her mid thirties, which I gather is very much 'on the shelf ' territory in China.  Maybe those magazines and TV programmes led her into the trap of big city lights, where she has the consumer goods, but all she does is work really hard to pay for them. She also has an empty heart, and a longing for her perfect man to arrive and give her the family she really desires.  I thought it was very sad for her, she was a beautiful lady, yet her life was quite tragic in her loneliness.

I reside in Australia, but can see similar types here.  There are a lot of ladies who go weak at the knees when offered a ride in a BMW!  When I look back (and you Manchester guys, I'm originally from your neck of the woods) we are all so much better off than we were not so many years ago.  The back streets of ShenZhen had a certain 'Coronation Street' element to them, don't you think?  Are we all just too gready these days?

I guess the main problem is how do nice guys (from anywhere) meet nice chinese ladies, especially in big cities. And how do nice Chinese ladies get to have a good honest social life when away from their families in the big cities?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-16 20:02:14 |Display all floors

I am a Chinese girl...

I confess that I need money, but I never love it.
For it is just a servant of mine, I am the master and I hope it is the same to you all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-16 20:29:18 |Display all floors

Reply: wow

take it easy ,buddy.everyone hold his own world views and value.to the gals u have said,money may be seen as good things more important than all others,yet be treated as rubbish by the majority of people in china.
   practically, life will go no where without money,wheras life full of money may be unnecessarily wonderful.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.