Author: lynnie

“刷卡”怎样说 [Copy link] 中文

Rank: 4

Post time 2006-5-24 12:23:52 |Display all floors
When I want to pay something by card instead of by cash, what verbs can I use to say the process of
pulling (?) the card through the electronic cash register?
to read the card or something else?
Suppose it is the first time for me to use a credit card, what a shop assistant will say while instructing
me to use it correctly and make me certain I have paid the right sum?

Answered by Rusty
The shop assistant may say, "Run/slide your card through the reader." You will have to be careful to turn
the card in the right direction. Look for a picture of a card on the electronic card reader. It will show you
which edge to put downward and which way to turn it. The assistant may ask you to press the "Credit"
button. You may be able to sign your name in the window on the reader with a stylus that is attached to
the side. If so, you have to touch "Done" with the stylus after you sign. Or, the assistant may give you a
paper copy to sign. She/he will give you a copy of the sales slip showing the amount of the purchase.
It will note that you paid by credit card.

[ Last edited by ofriendragon at 2006-5-24 01:04 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Rank: 4

Post time 2006-5-26 22:36:00 |Display all floors
Another common informal idiom meaning to slide the card through the card reader is "swipe the card".

(The first time I heard this, it confused me, since "swipe" is also an informal term that means "steal". However I have since heard it used a number of times for simply using a credit card with such a device.)


Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email:
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.