Views: 814|Replies: 8

这段话也帮我看一下, 今天我的脑子有些迷糊. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-2-1 11:11:17 |Display all floors
小说---漫画------电影------游戏----推广演出----周遍产品, 形成一个完整的产业链,一方面整和我公司的资源,一方面使我公司的利益最大化。具体策划可再具体讨论。

Novels – cartoons – movies – online games – promotional shows – peripheral products, thus forming a complete industry chain.  On one side, we rearrange our resources, and on the other side, maximize our profit.  The specific plans can be discussed later.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-1 12:44:05 |Display all floors

FYR

一方面整和我公司的资源,一方面使我公司的利益最大化 (it allows us) to consolidate our resources on the one hand and maximize our profit/benefits on the other.

OR just say (it allows us) to consolidate our resources and maximize our profit at the same time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-1 12:51:47 |Display all floors

for presentation

novels--cartoons--movies--games--promotionals--peripherals: this forms a complete product chain, which will be used as a center piece in our plan to reorganize the resources companywide and to maximize the profits as well. the discussion of the details will be made at a later time.

ps, consolidate resources is better.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-1 12:53:55 |Display all floors

Thanks, laoxianggg & nyleda!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-1 13:03:16 |Display all floors

hi, here is my question:

seemingly you guys don't like the pattern "... and ... as well" is there anything particular to prevent this from being used?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-1 13:21:43 |Display all floors

My answer:

I try to give a word-for-word translation as long as I don't have to sacrifice the meaning for it.   

”一方面,一方面“ , if translated more directly/literally, is more like "on one hand, on the other hand".  "...and...as well" is a very good expression but might not be the most suitable one here.

; )

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-1 14:09:24 |Display all floors

my concerns here

i understand it makes a more direct word by word mapping onto english but my concern here is that "on one hand... and on the other..." is actually for much longer structures. in practice, the "one hand" can be separated from the "other hand" several sentences away! and that is what normally where this structure is to be used (e.g., to appear once in a paragraph). this is probably true in chinese as well, as long as i am concerned. in the situations where the two "hands" would appear in the same sentence, it might better be replaced with something else such as "not only... but also...", "as well as", and "in addition to" which would sound more natural in english. anyways, the sloppy writings of an original chinese can easily make it pain on the neck for the translators. is it something the pros have to live along with? cheers!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.