Author: kevin_smith

Do Chinese feel obliged to speak English with Westerners, even if the Westerner [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-9-18 00:01:51 |Display all floors

Do not be so upset

As a  Chines , i have to say that all of  we do is to make our guest comfortable and easier to understand what  we say as well as our customer.  As we all know that Chinsese people are well known in the world for their hospitality and sincerity. As a result, we 'll make efforts to help our guest and friends whenerver they have problems. Especillay, when they discover that you are  a foreigner,  like a  CHinese saying goes, "COME AS IF WERE RIGHT IN THE HOME"

You don't have to be so upset, if you still have this problem , i think that will be result from your unsmooth Chinese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-18 02:27:36 |Display all floors

the reasons

Do Chinese feel obliged to speak English with a westener?
I have the reasons for you:
1. the Chinese people feel it is polite to speak English to a Westner since few westner speaks Chinese;
2. It is true that few Chinese think it is easy for a westner to learn Chinese since  a westner won't learn Chinese when they studied in their primary school yet the Chinese kids nowadays learn English from their primary school. For kids, it is easier to learn a language than an adult .
3. In the Chinese's opinion, it is more difficult for a westner to learn Chinese than a Chinese to learn English. English is easier in someway to learn than Chinese.
I have these feelings from my westner colleagues, no one speaks Chinese, and even if they want to learn some words, it is not easier for them to pronounce the words correctly since the Chinese characters have tones.
4. the other reason why they seem obliged to speak English to you is that most Chinese people (more than 20 years old) learnt English from Middle School, yet maybe they still cannot speak freely, they feel ambarrased.
But it is ture that I feel few westners speak Chines.
I remember the time I saw a westner guide speaking so fluently and correctly Chinese in Museum de louvre in Paris, i really felt astonished!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-18 21:05:45 |Display all floors

给老外朋友们一点建议

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-18 21:23:08 |Display all floors

您讲英语,我说中文

1,如果您自认为中文水平不错,那么就请不要再展示给我们汉语拼音,让我们中国人很头疼:例如作者用的“SHENMA” (什吗),其实应该是“SHENME”(什么),(那样写既不标准又 没有人用,)要知道,就连小学一年级的学生都会写汉字,而不屑用汉语拼音的。

2,如果您只掌握了1000多汉字,那么我告诉您,您的水平还差很远,中国常用汉字的数量为5000字。 小心,当你说出“你好,您吃了吗”这类简单儿童语言时,一定会有中国人夸您:“哇,您汉语讲的真好”。 其实不然,只不过是他们对你的汉语会话能力一开始就没抱有什么希望,在中国人看来,汉语是世界上最难的语言之一,你们老外想学好-,说好---没那么容易!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 12:45:25 |Display all floors

It's The Difference Between China and Eastern Culture

Being a chinese,i don't feel obliged to speak English with Westerners,It's just that we think it's polite to do so.We think speaking your language can make you comfortable,it's a respect and also a good way to shorten the "distance" between us.Just like the western singer star came china,he/she will surely learn some chinese.It's the same reason.These may which happen on the adults and the old.As for the younth who are studing ,they want to talk english cause they want wo prove their oral english.But sometimes we'll feel shy to say cause we don't think ourselves speak well.That's the common question the chinese students have.Being a teacher here,surely you have felt this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-16 00:08:41 |Display all floors

It's quite common here in china

ok, we all know that language is only for communication. Why should we care more about it. sometimes I guess in chinese philosophy, People tend to compare with their own ability to others

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-20 09:17:42 |Display all floors

Let me say some words

I will say that most Chinese do fell obliged to speak English with
Westerners, even if the Westerner can speck Chinese.

I think it's the culture difference that make you frustrated. Chinese are really modest and friendly whicn sometimes seems too much for foreigners. For example, If you dine at friend's home, maybe he will nip food for you with his chopstick. This is commen in China, especially in the year before. But it will seems lousy to you, I think.  They want to speck English to you because they are afraid that it wil bring you problems which is contrary to their willing.  For in most Chinese's mind, few foreigners could speak Chinese well enough.

And, the most important reason they speak English to you is lacking of culture confidence, I think. You see China's economy is developing very fast since 1979. This is because we largely learn,import technology and equipment and attract foreign capital  from foreign countries. In the course of developing Chinese could compare China with west countries conveniently and see the weakness and disadvangtage of our country. They became very unconfident and humble before westerners. So many Chinese will feel instinctive and reasonable to commuicate with westerners in their language, not Chinese.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.