Author: kevin_smith

Do Chinese feel obliged to speak English with Westerners, even if the Westerner [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-8-2 15:34:41 |Display all floors

please. Are they have to do what you want them to do?

Hello.
You have been in china for a year. You have learned some chinese in this year and i believe you can speak some good chinese thing. Here i suppose while you teach your students english ,you can also learn some chinese culture and chinese history. I think that could be helpful for your question.
When you live in Rome ,do as Romans do.
Sometimes I also feel why some people are too polite to make me feel unnature. Just like you say do they have the obligation? Thought you and me can feel "oh!please do not do that. Thank you. Thank you.. I just want you to speak chinese with me.please don't feel embarrased...." You just can think about that but you can't and have no right to want them to do what....
Just adapt that if can't ,don't communicate with them.
And i think you can emphasize your chinese level is good very much. You can totally understand them when you can't you'll ask them something more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-19 12:02:56 |Display all floors

The foreigner can speak Chinese? How you should respond?

It's been a long time since I last logged into China Daily's BBS, mostly because I found this BBS to be vile, but also because I started a blog, The Weifang Radish. However, I've just written an article in Chinese relating to this thread and I would like to share it with everyone.

[ Last edited by kevin_smith at 2007-4-11 04:13 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.