Views: 3341|Replies: 5

Hubris at Huawei is also vintage 1990s America.你怎么理解? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-1-12 23:54:13 |Display all floors
有兴趣的请讨论下.

上下文:
Huawei's astonishing campus on the outskirts of the southern city of Shenzhen is straight out of the technology bubble too, with four football fields, swimming pools, apartments for 3,000 families and a fantastical Disney-esque research centre with doric pillars and marbled interior.

The hubris at Huawei, which makes telecoms equipment like routers and switches, is also vintage 1990s America. Hu Yong, a vice-president, is proud of being in more than 70 countries, that over 3,000 of the group's 24,000 employees are overseas nationals and that two-fifths of its more than $5 billion revenues in 2004 will be made outside China. “Are we a global player? Fortune magazine says that is when international sales exceed 20% of your total,” he says. “So the answer is yes.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-13 07:24:48 |Display all floors

Hubris at Huawei is also vintage 1990s America.你怎么理解?

Hubris at Huawei is also vintage 1990s America.
华为这种狂妄自大的做法在二十世纪九十年代的美国非常也是非常普遍的。

It's a coincident that I came across the article the other day and i translated some paragraphs.

A good article for the reference of chinese big companies!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-13 08:20:17 |Display all floors

discuss

Hubris at Huawei is also vintage 1990s America.
华为这种狂妄自大的做法在二十世纪九十年代的美国非常也是非常普遍的。
感觉"狂妄自大"与上文陈述不符,不知"骄奢"可否?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-13 09:13:45 |Display all floors

good point ! luxgum

your choice of word is much better!

and I'd like to give my humble translation of the two paragraph, and i will appreciate any criticism from you

当回忆起位于另一半球的硅谷的历史,刚才的情景似曾相识。在硅谷发展的鼎盛时期,曾经有众多夜以继日工作的程序员最终由于劳累过度而倒在了工作间里。华为集团位于深圳城南郊区的工业园区也是哪个泡沫经济时代的产物。这座园区的规模之宏伟令人震惊,园内拥有四块足球场,游泳池,可以容纳三千个家庭的住宅区和一个装有多利斯立柱和大理石内饰的,迪斯尼风格的研发中心。
作为一家生产路由器和交换机的企业,华为这种骄奢的做法在二十世纪九十年代的美国非常也是非常普遍的。华为的分支机构遍布海外70多个国家,集团的2万4千名员工中有3千多人工作在海外,2004年集团预计实现的50多亿美元的利润中有四成来自海外。集团副主席胡永谈到这些时显得非常骄傲,他说:“我们算不算国际化公司呢?按照《财富》杂志所说的国际销售额超过总数的20%这一标准,答案是肯定的。”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-13 09:41:12 |Display all floors

hurculeus你太客气了,我把你的文章稍微改了一下,请提意见.

The scene is reminiscent of a place on the other side of the globe: Silicon Valley at its most breathless, when programmers on the go “24/7” collapsed with exhaustion at their workstations.
回想位于西半球的硅谷的历史,刚才的情景是何等的熟悉。在硅谷发展的鼎盛时期,曾经有多少程序员因为不堪夜以继日的工作,而最终累倒在了工作间里。

Huawei's astonishing campus on the outskirts of the southern city of Shenzhen is straight out of the technology bubble too, with four football fields, swimming pools, apartments for 3,000 families and a fantastical Disney-esque research centre with doric pillars and marbled interior 华为集团位于深圳城南郊区的工业园区也是科技泡沫产物。这座园区的规模之宏伟令人咂舌,园内有四块足球场,游泳池,有可以容纳三千个家庭的住宅区和一个用多利斯立柱和大理石内饰的迪斯尼风格的研发中心。
The hubris at Huawei, which makes telecoms equipment like routers and switches, is also vintage 1990s America. Hu Yong, a vice-president, is proud of being in more than 70 countries, that over 3,000 of the group's 24,000 employees are overseas nationals and that two-fifths of its more than $5 billion revenues in 2004 will be made outside China. “Are we a global player? Fortune magazine says that is when international sales exceed 20% of your total,” he says. “So the answer is yes.”

华为是一家生产路由器和交换机的企业.它这种骄奢的做法在二十世纪九十年代的美国非常也是非常普遍的。华为的分支机构遍布海外70多个国家,集团的2万4千名员工中有3千多人工作在海外,据估计2004年集团50多亿美元的利润中有四成来自海外。集团副总胡永谈到这些时显得非常骄傲,他说:“我们算不算国际化公司呢?按照《财富》杂志所说的国际销售额超过总数的20%这一标准,答案是肯定的。”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-14 07:15:42 |Display all floors

just my 5 cents

Overbearing pride at Huawei is classic and same as displayed by US IT companies back era 90s.

"Overbearing pride " is based on "is proud of bla bla..."  and
the way he thinks himself a big sh#t :
“Are we a global player? Fortune magazine says that is when international sales exceed 20% of your total,” he says. “So the answer is yes.”

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.