Author: shanhuang

US-led 4 nation core group dissolved --- A failed attempt to sideline UN [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-1-10 23:35:58 |Display all floors

First of all it is Loud and Clear not clear and loud - should I charge you for t

"Some saw the four-nation group, later joined by Canada and the Netherlands, as overlapping or competing with the United Nations, which traditionally has taken the lead in coordinating international responses to disasters."

The key word there is SAW.  That does not count as proof.  It can easily be taken as they thought it might be possible.
……….

"Leaders of the countries worst affected by the catastrophe, including Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand, had pressed at the Jakarta conference for UN leadership of the reconstruction drive."

Well of course they want the UN to lead.  The core group was never going to continue.  It was only going last until the UN was ready to take over.

Obviously you are never going to be satified.  You have done nothing but waste my time.  Until you are willing to put hatred aside and open up your tiny little brain you should concentrate on topics which you can actually deal with.  Good bye little mountain,  sorry, little hill.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 01:05:14 |Display all floors

Should I charge you for your mental problem, bgy079?

You simply have NO brain left to understand anything. All you have shown is your ignorance and blind love of USA. You don’t even have the basic ability of reading international news correctly. Of course you will never acknowledge anything bad for your King George as you have shown with your indefensible bias. You simply out of common sense.

But your opinion is NOTHING. It’s the international communities’ opinions matter. Yes, the international community all saw US’ FAILED attempt to sideline UN. That’s the news, that's the proof, and that’s the bottom line.

You should long ago realize there is NO room for you to twist here. So, save your face and time in the future before jumping on to my thread. This is not your kindergarten playing room. You better learn how to read correctly or you will lose again.

I challenge you to read the news again. This would be your 3rd time. Hope you will make it. All interesting.

JAKARTA : The United States is to dissolve the "core group" of nations it formed to expedite aid for victims of the Asian tsunami disaster and would work under the United Nations.

Secretary of State Colin Powell also told an international conference the United States would likely increase its commitment of aid but announced no new figure beyond the current 350 million dollar pledge.

Powell moved to end any lingering confusion from the US move last week to form a core group with India, Japan and Australia to expedite relief efforts after the mammoth earthquake and tsunamis that killed some 150,000 people.

"The core group helped to catalyze the international response," he said in prepared remarks. "Now having served its purpose, it will now fold itself into the broader coordination efforts of the United Nations."

President George W. Bush's administration had taken the initiative after early criticism that it was slow to react to the December 26 earthquake and tsunamis that hit 11 Indian Ocean countries.

Some saw the four-nation group, later joined by Canada and the Netherlands, as overlapping or competing with the United Nations, which traditionally has taken the lead in coordinating international responses to disasters.

After a high-level video conference between US and UN officials last Thursday, Washington acknowledged the umbrella role of the world body and said its own initiatives were "complementary."

Powell, who is on a three-nation tour of tsunami damage and relief operations along with Bush's brother Jeb, did not elaborate on the reasons for disbanding the group.

"We recognize that the governments of the affected nations have the primary role in rebuilding their countries," said the chief US diplomat, who is due to step down in the coming weeks.

"But in the face of a disaster of this immensity, international help and cooperation is crucial. The United States welcomes the coordinating role of the United Nations."

He said UN Secretary General Kofi Annan "can count on our full support. We look forward to participating in the UN Donors Conference in Geneva on January 11."

Leaders of the countries worst affected by the catastrophe, including Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand, had pressed at the Jakarta conference for UN leadership of the reconstruction drive.

Hatsuhisa Takashima, spokesman for Japanese Foreign Minister Nobutaka Machimura, said that in the face of such pressure, "the role of the so-called core group is expected to be transferred to the United Nations."

In Washington, a senior State Department official said the intention had always been for the core group to coordinate emergency aid work only in the immediate aftermath of the tsunamis.

Speculation had mounted before the conference whether the United States would raise its 350 million dollar aid commitment after moves by Australia to boost its pledge to 764 million and Germany to over 600 million.

"In all likelihood our contribution will be revised upward as the full effects of this massive tragedy can be better assessed," Powell told the afflicted nations.

"resident Bush wants you to know that you will have the full support of the United States as you go through the process of relief, recovery, and reconstruction," he said.

But Powell announced no new figure for US aid. He and other US officials have said that only 40 million of the 350 million dollars pledged had actually been allocated and the challenge was now to expedite delivery of relief goods.

The US secretary of state told the conference that some 200 million dollars in private donations had been raised in the United States and he stressed the massive relief operation mounted by the US military.

He said more than 14,000 military personnel were dispatched to the region, along with a carrier group, an amphibious group, helicopters, supply and patrol planes and ships able to supply tens of thousands of gallons of fresh water. - AFP

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 11:09:09 |Display all floors

you only have hatred, not proof

For your information little hill, I hate the U.S.  The difference between me and you though is the fact that I can still see clearly.  However I am man enough to look past hatred and see facts.  You claim to have proof but you don't.  You claim to have brains and you don't.  I'm also quite sure you claim to have a penis but really it is a pubic hair.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 14:05:05 |Display all floors

Anyone reads your piece of garbage here would know

All you had is hatred and you have no FACTS to speak with, bgy079. Your piece of garbage has not only degraded yourself to a low animal level, but also showed how pathetic you are. I simply can't find any substance in your post except human waste. As a record, I make a copy of what you said so people can read and see,
   2004-12-21

you only have hatred, not proof

For your information little hill, I hate the U.S. The difference between me and you though is the fact that I can still see clearly. However I am man enough to look past hatred and see facts. You claim to have proof but you don't. You claim to have brains and you don't. I'm also quite sure you claim to have a penis but really it is a pubic hair.

The FACTS stay the same -- US failed its effort to sideline UN. Read again:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Some saw the four-nation group, later joined by Canada and the Netherlands, as overlapping or competing with the United Nations, which traditionally has taken the lead in coordinating international responses to disasters.
……….

Leaders of the countries worst affected by the catastrophe, including Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand, had pressed at the Jakarta conference for UN leadership of the reconstruction drive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I see you are such a loser.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 17:51:09 |Display all floors

same thing over and over.

Saw (used in the article you gave) does not imply they actually sidelined.  After everything the U.S has done, of course nations are going to be a little curious about their motives.  No one has proof they actually attempted to sideline including you.  If you have 100% proof then please share it because I would really love to hate the U.S over this too but you don't have 100% proof therefore I am going to be civil (learn this word) and accept that there was no attempt by the U.S.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 18:43:38 |Display all floors

For slow mind, I have to say the "same thing over and over".

I have already explained it's the international communities' opinions counts, not yours.

What proof you want? Do you want me to have an electronic ear plugged into Colin Powell's briefcase? JOKE. The proof is US pulled up a 4-core nation group without UN permission or international communities' support. And it failed even rally its "core". It dissolved quickly before "mission accomplished" That's the best proof. I said over and over. And The news said it very clear too, over and over again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-13 00:15:02 |Display all floors

round and round we go

The U.S went to the U.N and expalained what they were going to do.  The U.N did not object.  It did not fail its mission because its mission was to get the whole things going and then let the U.N take over.  That is exactly what happened.
You say it is the international communities opinion that counts,  guess what?  I'm a part of the international community so despite your attempt in saying my opinion does not count, it actaully does.  So does yours since you too are part of the international community.  Just because I don't agree with you does not mean my opinion does not count.  However who is right and who is wrong is debatable.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.