Views: 15139|Replies: 32

Tsunami victims discrimination [Copy link] 中文

montblanc has been deleted
Post time 2004-12-28 21:39:00 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-29 00:44:13 |Display all floors

security-minded

i agree with what you said in general, montblanc, but it's hardly fair to compare a tsunami in the andaman sea with avalanches in the alps.  

in the alps, i'm sure avalanches occur multiple times per season.  in the andaman sea, tsunamis such as this one are hardly ever heard of.  the news reports i've read say that such a thing has not happened in 100 years.  

that is one reason why there is no tsunami early-warning system set up around the indian ocean.  pacific ocean countries have such early-warning systems set up because tsunamis there are more frequent.  

i think this was simply an "act of God," meaning that no one can be blamed for it.  i think your blaming western vacationers for increasing the death toll is quite over-the-top.  rich westerners can certainly be blamed for many things, but not this.

ts

Use magic tools Report

montblanc has been deleted
Post time 2004-12-29 04:48:24 |Display all floors

too shortsighted - not over the top

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-29 09:00:00 |Display all floors

Tidal waves

Avalanches are to be anticpated, yes, but tidal waves?! How can anyone anticipate a tidal wave? Compare how common tidal waves are compared to avalanches, and you will see how your analogy falls flat. Nobody, including the people of Indonesia, expected this to happen. Your accusation that westerners supposedly lured people build near dangerous shores, coupled with your statement that the tourists should have seen it coming, contains a double standard. If it can be claimed that the tourists should have anticpated the danger, then the people living there ought to have anticpated it too. If you say that the death of tourists is their own fault because they chose to visit a dangerous area, then you ought to say that the deaths of the natives were their own fault because they chose to live in a dangerous area. But instead you blame it on westerners.

Furthermore, your claims of "discrimination" are also ludicrus. It is the responsibility of a country to guard the welfare of its citizens. If the nations did not show concern for their people, you would accuse them of being apathetic to the well-being of their countrymen.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-29 12:06:11 |Display all floors

mmm

Why do Yourpeons always seek to blame themselves?  

Of course, us Britons are made of tougher stuff than our weakling continental cousins and we don't consider ourselves Yourpeons.   

A pathetic race of the once-strong now a servile bunch of self-hating miseratis.  Oh Lordy, Darwin's gonna make short work of you.  

Wchao37 and chairman will show up on this thread and blame some new American weapon for this earthquake.  Wchao37 will slant his vitriol towards whitey, which our pathetic Yourpeon examples will accept like a hand fits a glove.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-29 12:15:14 |Display all floors

..mmm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-29 12:51:14 |Display all floors

mmm

"Just thinking aloud if the International aid (Red Cross, World Vision, etc.) will ever reach them in time."

Yeah, and I'm just thinking aloud about which country is supplying (either indirectly or directly) the basic weapons which are keeping Aceh's rebellion going?  Mmm... yes, it's China.  I'm also thinking aloud as to where are the Chinese aid agencies?  Where are they?  I suppose it's a little difficult for them to do anything when they don't exist.  

At least the West actually has aid agencies and you can be certain they are tying to get to Aceh right now.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.