Views: 2821|Replies: 4

How to translate this into good Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-12-20 03:10:08 |Display all floors
I'm a fan of Robert Kiyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" books.

In one of his books, "Rich Dad's Business School, for people who like helping people," he wrote, "If you really want to learn how to be rich, you must begin to know and understand the power found in 'Network'. The richest people in the world build networks. Everyone esle is trained to look for work." "Without the electrical network, the light bulb would have very little value to people. ... ... CNN stands for Cable News Network."

How can I translate "The richest people in the world build networks. Everyone else is trained to look for work." into good Chinese? without too much explaining? esp. the word, "network?"

Thank you all in advance for your input!
Merry Christmas!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-20 05:58:48 |Display all floors

原文逻辑有问题

The richest people in the world build networks. Everyone else is trained to look for work.
你提出这样的问题,足见你自己的英文程度已很高.既高,却又看不懂那英文,我们遂可推论,那英文原文可能不通.....我相信,写书的人,常常会写不通的句子.如果不通,你自己不懂,旁人也不懂.既不懂,怎么翻?
原英文明明先说how to be rich, 这表示还没变富.要等成立networks之后,赚了钱,才富.接着却说"已经成了首富", "the rechest people in the world build networks", 这种前后矛盾的句子,很难翻.

我改写一下,看你同不同意?
Some poor people became rich by building networks.  Some remain poor because they do not know the power of networks (they only know working for others).

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2004-12-20 06:58:15 |Display all floors

to dear zhaoqian

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-20 08:50:16 |Display all floors

my understanding of "network" is...unfortunately in English

To me, building a network while one is in business means, you are in business for yourself, but not by yourself.

"for yourself" = you're ultimately responsible for goal setting, for the business skills, principles, finances, integrity, etc. you suffer the loss, you also harvest the fruits.

"by yourself" = doing business all alone, without reaching out for help or without anyone give you any advice, etc.

A lot of times, we can say a network is a mastermind group... no matter how much I understand it in English with my level of experience and knowledge, I still cannot think of a good Chinese word or phrase to express this concept. I'm definately not satisfied at the dictionary version.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-20 11:55:53 |Display all floors

rovi297, the following are my answers to your questions.

>>I have to disagree with you and meanwhile I would like to ask you a few questions. >>1. Have ever read this book in original writing yourself?

rovi297, the following are my answers to your questions.

(1), I have never read the book the poster was quoting from.

>>2. Have you taken notice of these double inverted quotation marks? (They mean >>the poster is quoting author’s original wordings)

(2)Yes, I have.  My understanding was: the poster wanted the Chinese translation of two sentences.

>> 3. Do you figure it out that the poster is seeking good Chinese translation version >>rather than English one like yours?

Yes, I do.  I told the poster that  it is hard for people to translate them into Chinese because people could not understand them.

>>Finally I think we should read these lines for a few times and figure out what it really >>means. My humble opinion is “The richest in the world builds the network” = the >>rich people know how to build a network to stay in rich or become much richer and >>the richest, hereby “the richest” can be interpreted as either the richest in >>intelligence or in wealth, in other words “the richest” means “the smartest”. By >>comparison with any other plebeians who only know of seeking a job to earn living >>= everyone else is trained to look for work (job) to do.

I agreed with you that, if "richest" = "smartest", then a Chinese translation will be not only possible but also easy.  In this case we must be consistent and treat the former "rich" as "smart", which appeared in this sentence: "If you really want to learn how to be rich (smart), you must begin to know and understand the power found in 'Network'."

But I doubt it.  Riches will grow with my network, the bigger my network the more profit it may produce.  How about smartness? Will a bigger network produce bigger smartness?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.