Author: weinjones

Doubter in please [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-12-10 19:30:03 |Display all floors

hello!

i do agree with doubter!once i  went for a walk with a foreign friend,when i came back home ,i tried to "say "everything in my mind in english.because that night i spoke english only. so i think it works to try put a lot of things into english even counting numbers.by the way ,is it necessary for us to read a grammer book thoroughly before learning how to think in english?my problem is sometimes i think i should spend time learning grammer first.and sometimes i think should increase my vocabulary .even worse,they say some words used in spoken english only while others in written english .i found it difficult to deal with this .give me some advice .thanks a lot !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-10 23:28:53 |Display all floors

Should you learn grammar?

The time to learn grammar is early in your language learning experience, before you can "think" in the language. This is the stage where you are learning the "mechanics" of the language, how it sounds, how it works.

Often, however, people learn too much grammar - and then they get confused and think they will never master the language.

Think of how a child of any language learns grammar - whenever a child uses the incorrect grammar an adult (usually the child's mother or father) simply says the correct sentence and the child learns from experience.

So, use every opportunity to "hear" English being spoken, and feel the "beat" (the grammar) of the language. And, if you are fortunate enough to have an English speaking tutor or friend or langauge exchange partner, then ask them to use this correction method. Don't ask them to explain the rule of grammar they are using - often they will not know!

Just ask them to correct you like an adult corrects a child - simply to say the sentence correctly. Then, you should repeat the correct sentence and move on with your conversation. This way, it doesn't "interrupt" the conversation too much. Also, you shouldn't be embarrassed by this - if you can find someone who will willingly correct like this then you then you have found an amazing resource to help you master English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.