Author: dinah:)

As an English learner, do you like western festivals? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-28 08:17:13 |Display all floors

Only my views~~~ ^ ^

Hi, dear friends~~ ,good morning~~         ^ ^
As Chinese, we are proud of  our nation , we like our own traditional festivals, but please,  don't refuse western festivals just because "we are Chinese"!! You know,it is just like the same "excuse" of  "we are chinese ,so we do not like English " when some guy couldn't  learn english well!!
Yes, we are Chinese! So most of us will like teaching foreigners to learn our chinese, even invite them to our homes to share our  spring festival  or other chinese festivals! ...then,why couldn't we...?!
Well,as chinese ,we have learned English,right?then in my opinion, it is useful and necessary  to learn some foreign festivals which are also parts of  western cultures, right ?

In a word, you could say "i don't like western festivals",you could refuse them,but please do not  say " all of these just  because we are chinese"!
^ ^

only my views!  ^ ^          wish all the friends a good day today!   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 11:10:40 |Display all floors

Dinah you have a good point

Just because it is western does not mean it is bad. Thanksgiving has origins that have changed and are different today. Giving thanks for what we have still remains. Family gathering still remains. Isn't that Chinese too? Family getting together and appreciating what they have. Especially family.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 11:15:41 |Display all floors

i agree with you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 14:41:37 |Display all floors

let it go naturally

My Oral English teacher Ms. Goodman is an American.
She has been staying in China with her husband for at least four years. Last week, she delivered to us a lecture about American festivals, I raised my hand and asked her how she spent the holiday with her Chinese friends. She showed no uncomforts. in stead, she said she enjoyed being staying with her chinese friends, and liked Chinese food very much. The reason she gave to us was extremely simple---do as the Roman do.  
learning is not confined to the literary work, we need cultural touch practically,no matter we like it or not, just like we have to eat what we don't like when hungery.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 14:59:54 |Display all floors

very good dinah

very good dinah, we like the western style of life and its culture not  only because they are from the west, but also because they are the wealth of  mankind. our ancestors created many wonderful things the world inherited till today. unfortunately, the present day chinese can only "look and see" what the other nations are developing. the correct way is to act, to learn from the other nations and to develop ourselves not always complain. the only reason for the not developed china, is that we learn and not develop, we complain and not act. so, young guys act now!!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-29 00:30:03 |Display all floors

Cherish your own festivals

It would be a pity if the Chinese accepted these western days -- firstly because they have absolutely nothing to do with traditional Chinese culture.
Second, they are a big con trick by the big stores to get more money out of you. If they can convince you to buy Christmas trees and presents, and valentines days gifts and easter eggs and ... then they will make a lot more money.

Stick to your own festivals--they actually mean something to you-- rather than slavishly following western customs for no good reason.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-29 09:16:12 |Display all floors

Recently,I became a lover of western festivals

I  almost paid no attention to the western festivals in the past,including Christmas.But now,i am crazy with them on account of the need of leaning english and my interest to english.A article on Thanksgiving which came form our english textbook arosed my memory of  many people who helped me,i wanted to say thanks to them.Western festivals given me a good chane to express my moving feeling----other simple reason.Liking them form that moment.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.