Views: 1708|Replies: 2

who can locate and correct the error in these two sentences?(from a toeic exam [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-12-10 14:11:45 |Display all floors
(1)At the hotel, laundry sent out by 10:00 a.m. it will be returned by 5:00 p.m. the same day.
(2)The popularity of jogging appears to have decreased since the past couple of years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-10 15:18:31 |Display all floors

Here is my answer, although probably someone else can explain it better.

(1)At the hotel, laundry sent out by 10:00 a.m. it will be returned by 5:00 p.m. the same day.

Delete the word "it". In this sentence, it is redundant to use it as the subject is defined in the first part of the sentence, the "laundry". This is because the word "it" means the word "laundry" and if your put the word "laundry" in its place, it will become obvious to you why this is redundant.

Changed version....
At the hotel, laundry sent out by 10:00 a.m. will be returned by 5:00 p.m. the same day.

(2)The popularity of jogging appears to have decreased since the past couple of years.

The word "since" can be used when referring to a period of time, but as an event separated by time. Or as a reason or explanation for something.

Time related example, "I haven't been jogging since the car accident a couple years ago"
Reason example, "I have gotten fatter since I stopped jogging".

The word "since" should be replaced with the word "in" or "within". This sentence refers to a time period, "the past couple of years". This is a limited time, or time period with limits.
Because this sentence is talking about a time period, use words that refer to bounded areas.

Changed version....
The popularity of jogging appears to have decreased in the past couple of years.
The popularity of jogging appears to have decreased within the past couple of years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-11 13:58:29 |Display all floors

thanks for your detailed explanation

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.