Views: 8952|Replies: 16

I'm a highly educated American writer and editor. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-25 23:41:32 |Display all floors
I have traveled extensively in China and many other countries, and would like to make friends with with wonderful Chinese people.

I am interested in nearly everything and welcome all kinds of ideas and thoughts, and I am willing to help you with your English.

Please e-mail me and tell me about yourselves and your interests!!!

bluetiger_99@hotmail.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-26 00:01:46 |Display all floors

re:I'm a highly educated American writer and editor.

hello how are you
nice to meet you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-26 13:01:59 |Display all floors

hello, bluetiger

glad to meet you here. you know, your name is so unique for i have never seen a bluetiger, which , i think, must be handsome. hehe.
i have added u to my msn

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-27 00:26:17 |Display all floors

A novel idea

Coolwitch,

Yes, I am a blue tiger--a warm, friendly shade of tropical blue. Doesn't the jungle need a friendly, playful blue tiger that plays with the good animals and protects them from the mean ones?

The virtue of strength is in protecting the weaker animals and enhancing their lives, so they may display their beauty and talents.

And there are bad witches, good witches, but the world can use a cool witch who makes delcious sandwiches for nice blue tigers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-27 10:31:05 |Display all floors

to helpful editor

The following is a short piece from the Chisese famous novel, The Romance of the Three kingdoms. Would yo like to revise it for me?

Flows east day and night the Yangtze River.
Like water waves the great men arise and disappear.
Both feats and failures turn into emptiness with a flash.
But the hills still stand there,
Witnessing the risings and settings of the sun.
A fisherman and woodcutter, both with white-hair,
Having seen many spring winds and autumn moons,
meet on an island, drinking wine with cheer.
The endless happenings in history  which they talk
Only make them smile and even sneer. David 2003 9 27
滚滚长江东逝水,浪花淘尽英雄。是非成败转头空。
青山依旧在,几度夕阳红。白发渔樵江渚上,惯看秋月春风。
一壶浊酒喜相逢,古今多少事,都付笑谈中。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-27 17:08:21 |Display all floors

ghighh

Such charming words! There are things that should go unspoiled. As with a delicious food, too much spice and cooking can ruin it.

It is only the last word, "sneer," that I wonder about. "Sneer" is a comtempuous, scornful facial expression. I speak Cantonese, but I am not literate at reading Chinese, unfortunately, so I don't know if that is the intended word.

I question that, because such a thing tends to break the mood and what I feel is the meaning of the writing.

When I work with Chinese people, concerning translations, I feel obligated to patiently ask the person many questions, such that I can more clearly understand the meanings of the thoughts they want to put into English. A part of that is almost like trying to read each other's minds.

I don't want to be the one to damage beautiful Chinese writing!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 05:14:01 |Display all floors

For the last part, I am coming up with...

白发渔樵江渚上,惯看秋月春风。
一壶浊酒喜相逢,古今多少事,都付笑谈中。

Those gray haired fishermen and woodcutters who live along the river, were the forever witnesses of the autumn moon and spring breeze. Drinking the home made wine and enjoying the occasional gathering, telling the stories of the river's past and new, was the fond entertainment among the river mates.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.