Views: 4566|Replies: 7

seek for help [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-20 10:08:08 |Display all floors
I have a problem which I have to explain to my students, but i at  a loss.pls help me.
Zhou Lan will have been studying English for six years by the time she ___ the exam.   A.takes   B. is to take

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 11:01:36 |Display all floors

I'm not an English teacher

but I think that "b." is the correct answer because it will happen in the future which is consistent with the future tense of "will be" which is also used in the sentence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 11:10:41 |Display all floors

I choose A

difficult to explain why, but just feel A is the correct answer rising from common sense.
somehow "by the time" indicates not necessary to use "to do"  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 11:40:28 |Display all floors

A vs B

In American conversational English we say: before she TAKES the exam.
Takes is the action of doing so.

I am amazed at the extent that all of you study the mechanics of English and not so much conversational English. I think all of the participants of this forum know more about the technical parts of English than I ever studied. I has been 45 years since I studied it in school.

Since however, I have had the task of lectures, teaching and other public speaking jobs and can not recall ever confusing listeners with the technical operations of English. I prefer to speak "plain" English for the value of getting the message into the minds of the listeners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 12:38:11 |Display all floors

I choose B!

B stands for future action she will take after finishing her study.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 12:59:07 |Display all floors

B, i think

"is to" domonstrate the things will happened in the future, e.g. could be explained as " will....." right?  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-20 13:06:21 |Display all floors

answer may be

the answer is the second.
you can find a similar setence in your gramar book!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.