Author: towlim

ENGLISH IS A STUPID LANGUAGE [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-11-2 11:17:09 |Display all floors

A stupid language? Maybe.

The two hardest languages to learn in the entire world are English and Chinese.

Depends on how you would define a stupid language in this case. If you refer to the countless exceptions, then yes, it is pretty stupid.

Pretty much every language has its own stupid side.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-5 13:20:52 |Display all floors

english is a stupid language

i'm a Chinese, i just wonder why there so many people studying english,and if they wanna go abroad for further study they must get good mark on GRE ,TOFEL or something like that,even worse ,they still feel worry not to communicate with people well though they got all of these things. but i just see a lot of foreigners come to China,seems that they never take thought for not knowing Chinese,take my boss for example,he doesen't know Chinese,but he can run a company here,maybe he is too smart,but... what i wanna say is we don't have to learn english if your work doesn't need it,otherwise it's wasting time and energy....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-6 13:11:53 |Display all floors

In response to the above

Wow, I think that is pretty sad. If he runs business in China without speaking Chinese, that's pretty damn sad. Kick those foreign bourgeois capitalist pigs out !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-8 22:38:08 |Display all floors

Skysong: Why do we study English?

That is the proverbial million dollar question.

It all boils down to the basics of economics: supply and demand. If there is work to be done and such work requires English skill to do it, then whether we like it or not, we have to study the medium of instruction that helps us to meet that demand.

There are hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars worth of jobs to be done in English and the companies putting out such jobs want to have such jobs done in countries that can provide the cheaper labour force to carry out such jobs.

To give you an example, if a company in Australia or United States want to prepare and send out millions of bills for say, telephones charges, or other monthly bills, the companies can prefer to have such bills prepared in countries with cheaper labour like China or India. After preparation such information will be electronically transmitted back to the company’s head office. By so doing the company can  save  millions of dollars in wages.

Next   comes  the question of which country will get the job. Currently many such jobs have gone to India because many Indians can speak and write English well due to its history of being under British rule for over a century.

Besides the example cited above, there are many big companies wanting to re-locate their factories to countries like India and possibly China if there are enough workers fluent in English to take up the jobs. There will be plenty of jobs in I.T. so it is imperative that we encourage and assist more people to learn English to prepare for the influx of work ahead.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-11-28 19:58:43 |Display all floors

IT.MY NICE MEET YOU

IT.MY NICE  MEET YOU

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-1 15:41:52 |Display all floors

.. RE

[quote]The two hardest languages to learn in the entire world are English and Chinese.[quote]

what makes you say this? do you also speak any other languages?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-7 09:04:55 |Display all floors

hehe

There is no egg in the eggplant
No ham in the hamburger
And neither pine nor apple in the pineapple.
English muffins were not invented in England
French fries were not invented in France.

We sometimes take English for granted
But if we examine its paradoxes we find that
Quicksand takes you down slowly
Boxing rings are square
And a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
上面这段话好像见过, 象是一次国际演讲比赛一个人的演讲,好像是南非的

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.