Author: twchinese

China before and after the reunification [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-21 11:34:56 |Display all floors

Thank you for compliments, Luf

Your rational comments are going to become my favourites.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-21 16:05:44 |Display all floors

twchinese

I was trying to tell you think about the issue from the benefit of main landers. When we look at some issues seriously, we have to keep in mind that the issues may not be only related to my benefit. So when we try to do whatever we wish to, and ignore the benefit of other people, we wouldn't have a chance to achieve what we want, instead, we would be in emberassing situation. This is quite basic in daily life.

So far I only saw you blame main landers "blinded", take t w for "rich" ...etc, but I have not seen you give a ratrional thinking base on the benefit of both side of the strait. This is not a realistic, or rational thinking. I am sorry if you feel offended, however, this is my true feeling. I am not saying you are as the same as some bigots here, I wouldn't talk to the bigots.

Seriously, I have never thought about the picture of t w after unification, it is not really my business, but I do thought about the problems if t w separate from main land, which I listed above.

It is not proper to say why don't you say anything about the military base in japan which is even closer to bj. twchinese, japan is a foreign country, nothing China can do about that, and it is EXACTLY why t w will be harmful to main land and nothing main land could do IF t w separate to be a independent country.

Well, still, I have to say, twchinese, you blame to much, not think about the benefit of main landers. Unfortunately, this is quite a typical way of thinking in t w, if I am not wrong.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-21 16:23:52 |Display all floors

twchinese

When you blame mainlanders and the government that main landers want the war to t w, I couldn't understand where your comment come from.

I have no interest in politics but I still know that the main land government position is quite clear -- no war until t w becomes independent. So who wants the war?

In any country, separation is criminal. The support from western media wouldn't make the atempt of separation not criminal. This is very basic by any sence of law and thinking. What is wrong if a city, a province separate from a country, and the government of the country trys stop it by force? If such a thing happens in any western country, you wouldn't say anything, but why it is a problem in China in your mind?

I have asked you a question before - what would you think if south part of t w separate from t w? what about a villige separate from t w ? What would you think? Don't tell me you think it is illegal if you think t w is legal to separate from main land.

Look at both side of the strait, I have to say main land government is much realistic and rational. T w looks to me that the government is cheating around, and the people are pretty much blinded.

The bottom line is, we both want a rich and peaceful life. What "independence" can help you on your life? What would bother you when t w is actually independent wconomy and political body in China?

T w is declining, we all see that. It is pretty smart to be the president of t w that keep t w people angry on something but not the economy, main land is the best choice to be blamed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-21 16:56:25 |Display all floors

Recalls: The whole China moon program is actually "BEYOND" your purview: not in

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 06:08:06 |Display all floors

He Dan: Who is really behind all those recent Asian regional wars and border ski

The Chinese old maps? This thread begs amplification by most concerned Chinese and nationalists for peace and stability and freer markets and trade with the US/Japanese coalitions. Right now, quantitative raw & strategic materials and environmental concerns may be of the greatest priority and strategic self-interest of the Chinese businesses home fronts, not Asian and cross-straits Euro/Dollars currency attritions and manipulations. Traditionally even US aids and selective assistances were limited to Japan or Taiwan, etc., and expected demands to revise the constitution of Japan to rearm are being aimed to reorder and rebalance regional stability and responsibilities against possible increasing theater arms and WMD proliferation threats to regional US strategic military stations/bases.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 08:13:34 |Display all floors

Why mainlanders claim TW's soverignty

The following is cited from the book Is Taiwan Chinese? by Melissa J Brown

First, it leaves out of the Chinese nation a territory that originally
left China’s authority due to colonial annexation: the PRC emphasizes
this problem. Second, an independent Taiwan also raises issues
for ethnic territories under Chinese authority: if Taiwanese are allowed
to “leave” the nation because of ethnic differences, then why not Tibetans, or Turkic Muslims (such as the Uighur), or even Cantonese? Taiwan independence could have a domino effect that would break up the PRC, like the USSR or, worse, Yugoslavia.

the “Century of Humiliation” (bainian guochi)— explains
the tremendous symbolic importance to China of the return of Hong
Kong in 1997 and Macao in 1999. It also construes Taiwan’s de facto
independence as further imperialism against the Chinese people.

Brown, Melissa J.(Author). Is Taiwan Chinese?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-22 09:13:54 |Display all floors

luf2004

I respect your opinions and your sincerity in presenting them. Well, here are my answers to your questions.

1. What is wrong if a city, a province separate from a country, and the government of the country trys stop it by force? If such a thing happens in any western country, you wouldn't say anything, but why it is a problem in China in your mind?

I believe He Dan provided a very good list. I would like to add Puerto Rico into the list. Puerto Rico is in a somewhat similar situation as TW but the US allows their citizens to hold referrendum every 4 years to decide whether they want to become the 51st State. Their status quo is Commonwealth of the US, a fully self-represented sovereignty. There are independence forces in Puerto Rico, but we do not see the US put up 600 missiles to deter them. Out of the list, Czechoslovakia also held a referrendum for the split. East Timor is another very interesting example. Hundreds of thousands of East Timorese were massacred by Indonesian armed forces after the Portuguese left because they were seeking independence. Regional and local rebellions continued for decades until they finally got their independence about one year ago.

Let me give you another example, the French part of Canada has been seeking its own sovereignty as well. I am not exactly sure about the poll result lately but about the majority of the population speaks French and feel distanced from the rest of Canada. They are seeking independence as well, but do you see the Canadians deploy missiles aiming at them? Why is that China chooses to resort to violence and military threat?

2. what would you think if south part of t w separate from t w? what about a villige separate from t w ? What would you think?

The south part of tw is lawfully represented in TW's legislative yuan by people from that part. They have a say in TW's policies. But does TW have any representative in China's National People's Congress (NPC)? Now, if all the legislative decision making done in Tai-pei were to exclude any member from the south, then they have the right to split.

3. What "independence" can help you on your life? What would bother you when t w is actually independent wconomy and political body in China?

Reunification does NOT bother me except for some issues I will post later. What bothers me, like I have been saying from the very beginning, is China's approach to achieve reunification. I frankly believe the approach is wrong and it is driving the TW people further and further away. The PRC prefers to say "TW is diggiing its own grave." Well, then I would like to add "TW is digging its own grave with a Chinese shovel."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.