Views: 1492|Replies: 5

American English or Britain English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-10 15:39:02 |Display all floors
Could anybody list some of manifest difference  between this two kind of English.
And, is it necessary to study a "pure " English  ?
  Without distinguishment of each type,Will  the "hybrid" English lead to serious consequence ,?
  Could anybody tell me whether I must draw a distinct line between them or not?
  Thank you all!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 01:13:40 |Display all floors

Don't worry too much about it.

The only thing that matters is that people understand you. I spell colour the american way (color) because I set my MS Word to American English, but I insist on spelling cheque the British way, not the American way (check) to avoid any possible confusion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 08:57:48 |Display all floors

I agree with laoxianggg

In answer to your first question, here is a good webpage to read.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 11:21:03 |Display all floors

Thank you all .

It’s true that language studying should be utilitarian, as you said , if people understand  what you write and speak then you reach the very effect which learning bring . But,  my confusion, with comparing the British English novel and American English novel and finding there is a huge difference between them ,  is whether I should use the American style or British one to write . More flexible phrases could be came upon when you engage in the former , but being somewhat dismay  , you will find there are lot of formidable words in the later .
Recently , I am reading novels written by Charles Dickens and  this kind of  bewilderment   mentioned above is very strong .
In short , the problem for me is how to choose a suitable writing style , no confusing. But the fact is nobody guide you and tell you what your writing belong to .
Its difficult for me, now , to delimit a style suitable to me .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 14:31:43 |Display all floors

American English vs. the Queen's English

I suggest that as long you are understood it does not really matter which you adopt.. However, if you are studying for an exam then the English might take some marks off if you spell the American way (eg program, color etc) and the Americans will take the marks of if you spell the English way (ie programme, colour etc).

In general the English think that the"damn yankie colonials" are ruining the language, whilst most Americans think that you have "class" if you have an English accent.

I therefore suggest you learn English not American, unless you intend to take an American Exam .

I hope this helps

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 18:51:00 |Display all floors

sisetu

I doubt that exams would be this stringent, though it is important to be consistent (so don't spell half your words American style and the other half English style). I would recommend that you spell words in the English way, since that's what's done in every country in the world besides the US, though no one will pick on you for doing it the other way except as maybe a joke. Keep in mind though that as I'm an Australian, my opinion in this regard is obviously biased.

For your writing, don't force yourself to follow the writing styles of any authors. Do what's most comfortable for you, and what you think will be most interesting and most suitable for your target audience. Also, keep in mind that the great English writers like Dickens wrote their books over a century ago, and that the English language has changed a fair bit since then.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.