Author: iluv2fish

China + Japan [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-11 21:57:19 |Display all floors

forgive and forget

Forgive and forget all the way to the Oval office. Dont you get it? When you hold on to hate, it will drag you down. It won't drag the person you are hating down.

"The days of "No Irish Need Apply" passed. St.Patrick day paraded replaced violent confrontations. The Irish not only won acceptance for their day, but persuaded everyone else to become Irish at least for St.Patrick's Day. The Orangemen or New York City copied the St.Pat's Day parade in 1870 and, as they marched, played "Boyne Water", "Derry" and other songs derogatory towards the Catholics. Fights broke out and only the police (themselves mostly Irish) saved the Orangemen and women. The next year another Orange parade was scheduled...the police banned it.

The appearance of large numbers of Jews, Slavs, and Italian immigrants led many Americans to consider the Irish an asset; their Americanization was now recognized. Hostility shifted from the Irish to the new nationalities. Through poverty and subhuman living conditions, the Irish tenaciously clung to each other. With their ingenuity for organization, they were able to gain power and acceptance.

In 1850 at the crest of the Potato Famine immigration, Orestes Brownson, a celebrated convert to Catholicism, stated: "Out of these narrow lanes, dirty streets, damp cellars, and suffocating garrets, will come forth some of the noblest sons of our country, whom she will delight to own and honor."

In little more than a century his prophecy rang true. Irish-Americans had moved from the position of the despised to the oval office"

http://www.kinsella.org/history/histira.htm

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-11 22:18:11 |Display all floors

Caught the big one

And to think JFK was Irish. President! How could this happen Kwok?

"Employment ads began to contain the phrase, "Irish need not apply."  Boarding houses and other public establishment might display signs which read, " No dogs or Irish allowed."  The Irish were blamed for outbreaks of disease. Anti-Irish and anti-Catholic riots broke out in New York and Boston. Churches, convents and orphanages were attacked and burned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-12 04:46:08 |Display all floors

An Irish yarn.

Paddy my boy, you must leave the good drop alone now, you hear? It is getting to your head. You must not rabbit-on something silly. Where is the factual reference to this fishy tale then. Repeating an hallucination often enough does not make it true you understand! Sure to be sure, you must go and have a nice rest, bless your soul.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-12 09:04:45 |Display all floors

It's a long way to Tipperary

Ho my boy, don't be so lazy and do a little research. Quickly now before I give you the back of my hand.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-13 04:58:36 |Display all floors

It is so exquisitely Irish.

iluv2fish;   how have we digressed to Ireland,Irish and dogs from your own thread on whether Japan should have Chinese support to join UNSC? It is very Irish is it not? You also accused me of being lazy and should do some ' research '.Why me? I am lazy I do admit but why would I care to research on something you declared ? I am waiting for you to substantiate your own claim, not mine. Or is it another Irish leg pull; Paddy says something ridiculous and Kwok goes to do the ' research '. I would like you to make the case as to why Japan should be given a seat at the UNSC.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-27 15:42:41 |Display all floors

China did want to japanese get in

I notice that all of  you ,The Foreign Ministry spokesman Kong Quan has proposed that three point :
First, UN reform must take the developing country into consideration,namly wanting to add more developing nation into security council permanent membership,due to there is only one country stand for developing country's voice,that is China.
Second,UN reform must bear one key principle in our mind,that the ultimate goal of reform is to improve the working efficiency of the security council ,Security council is not a interests sharing group.and it's also not a enterprise board.that whose right's big or small is not according to their financial contribution.
Third is that UN reform is a process,it shouldn't provide a solid schedule to do the reform work.it has a long time to go.
so above all,our government didn't have any intention approving Japan to permanent member seat.all of three collide with Japan's proposal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-29 14:08:09 |Display all floors

kill kill

kill all the Japanese

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.