Views: 117793|Replies: 102

Chinese Students Should Learn From This Vietnamese American Student! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2020-6-22 14:45:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2020-6-22 14:54

A college professor has been placed on administrative leave following a racist incident where he refused to call a student by her given name and instructed her -- twice -- to “anglicize” her name.

Phuc Bui Diem Nguyen, a Vietnamese American freshman college student at Laney College in Oakland, California, was on her second day of classes and was looking forward to using her legal name after years of being called “May” when she received an abrupt email request from her trigonometry professor, Matthew Hubbard.

The request? Anglicize her name.

Nguyen said she spent time on Friday speaking with the vice president of Laney College and feels satisfied with the school’s response in spite of the “ignorant person not trying to learn her name” and that she still plans to use her legal name going forward, which in Vietnamese means “happiness blessing,” according to Nguyen.

"People should not be embarrassed of their name and they should be proud of their name,” Nguyen told KGO in an interview. “I hope they'll feel more comfortable using their real name rather than using a whitewashed name."

Many Chinese students unfortunately are very fond of introducing themselves with fake English names to foreigners.  They shouldn't do that;  they should  be proud of their Chinese names!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2020-6-22 15:54:02 |Display all floors
  1. Many Chinese students unfortunately are very fond of introducing themselves with fake English names to foreigners.  They shouldn't do that;  they should  be proud of their Chinese names!
Copy code
Question is :  But why do Chinese people give themselves western names in the first place?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2020-6-22 16:27:36 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2020-6-22 15:54
Question is :  But why do Chinese people give themselves western names in the first place?

The answer is already right there in front of you;  they are ashamed of their Chinese names wen meeting foreigners!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2020-6-22 16:30:13 |Display all floors
Many Chinese adults, not just students, are guilty of using fake English names in the presence of foreigners!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2020-6-22 16:40:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2020-6-24 10:39

Nguyen told KGO in an interview. “I hope they'll feel more comfortable using their real name rather than using a whitewashed name."

She must mean 'a whiteman's name'!  Super!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2020-6-22 16:48:04 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2020-6-22 16:27
The answer is already right there in front of you;  they are ashamed of their Chinese names wen me ...

NO SIR, and I am sorry to say that.
Do you understand what does "ming" "zi" and "hao" mean ?
If you don't, then your assertion " they are ashamed of their Chinese names" in inherently defective because you have "no clue" about what I have asked in post # 2 above.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2020-6-22 16:50:19 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2020-6-22 16:27
The answer is already right there in front of you;  they are ashamed of their Chinese names wen me ...

A "little knowledge is a dangerous thing". Yes indeed, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" but who believes in Shakespeare?

You need to do some research to make yourself aware of the concept of ming zi and hao.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.