Views: 2603|Replies: 2

China's vanishing summer breaks [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-8-20 16:42:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by appleeater at 2019-8-20 16:43

In extra summer classes, that are high in demand in China, we hope to find some answers.

CCTV news visited several summer training institutions and found that classes about school subjects were almost full before the summer break even started.

Different parental attitudes

An elevator full of children and parents at a training institution in Beijing. /VCG Photo

“Many parents signed up for summer classes two months ago, and the enrollments of fall classes are starting now,” said a staff member of a training center in Beijing, “Sign up as soon as possible, the place are limited, especially in cities like Beijing. Who doesn’t s have classes during the break?” the staffer added.

Parents are also flocking to classes that foster hobbies. Li Qian, a mother living in Beijing, signed her 5-year-old son up for a drawing class. “I think he's gifted, the teacher at the class often praises him, and I believe that praising can build up his confidence, which is very important,” Li told CGTN.

Li's father is an artist himself. However, Li has reservations about letting him teach her son. “My Dad coddles him too much, and my son doesn’t have much self-discipline around his grandpa,” she said. Li pays 400 yuan (about 57 U.S. dollars) for a single drawing class. The entire course of 12 hours cost over 5,000 yuan and includes the teaching material. "It is really expensive," Li said.

Some parents are less concerned about filling their children's summer vacation with extra classes.

“I'll be cool, and I'll sign the kids up on demand,” said Zhang Xiaoyu, a mother who is about to have her second child, “I don't want them to be so stressed at such a young age.”

“I was raised under no pressure; my parents never pushed me to get great grades, and I really appreciated that. I want my kids to grow up like me, no pressure, no rush,” Zhang said.

Zhang Xiaoyu with her daughter. /Photo courtesy of Zhang Xiaoyu

The education we need

In fact, since February 2018, the Ministry of Education has launched a special campaign to tackle illegal after-school training institutions.
After more than a year of the new governance, the majority of institutions with no license or that pose security risks have been shut down, while the majority of non-registered institutions are under supervision.

“We need to improve the quality of primary and secondary school teaching so that students in school can learn better and learn more so that they don't have to take extra classes to catch up on their learning difficulties outside school,” the Director of the Department of Basic Education Lyv Yugang was quoted as saying by CCTV news.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-8-21 14:10:11 |Display all floors
Parents must stop and think what is really necessary and what is not. Do not follow the herd. Some children are late developers and forcing them to go with the crowd can discourage them. The only true learning is from oneself out of curiosity and interest, not from blind regurgitation force feeding.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-8-22 07:02:06 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2019-8-21 14:10
Parents must stop and think what is really necessary and what is not. Do not follow the herd. Some c ...

Agree 100% with you!
Human lives mean nothing when the western warmongers see a bigger gain through war

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.