Author: SEARU

More intellectuals to work for newspaper? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-6-24 09:21:42 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-6-23 12:25
Your obsession with English teachers has blinded you to other peoples' responses to your thread, r ...

I can understand your meaning but it is difficult to say that I agree with you on this point!
I have been here for about five years. You can easily see my progress on English writing if you compare my early works with the present ones!
I do wish every forumites are serious on posting and let each post go like text for English learners! Editors are expected to work as language coach who are ready to make our writings go more smoothly for readers  with the least errors on spelling and grammar. In this way the chinadaily will become more powerful in the media circle!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-24 10:59:03 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2019-6-24 09:21
I can understand your meaning but it is difficult to say that I agree with you on this point!
I h ...

"Editors are expected to work as language coach who are ready to make our writings go more smoothly for readers  with the least errors on spelling and grammar. "

Absolutely NOT!! Editors are NOT responsibl for that; ask your English teachers to clean up all your errors before you post them here, that would help us understand what you you want to say,  and give you appropriate replies!!  Very often, because of your Chinglish, we don't understand you and hence can't reply to you!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-24 11:37:45 |Display all floors
Mr S is perseverent in learning and using Enlgish, amazing and worth a handclapping. (he needs to read more English written by natives)

Mr P is doing his job of satiring, without any positive energy offered. (he needs to be tender to others.)

All of us are away from the original topic.

Newspaper has seen its back upturned, it is ridiculous to see more pople power input to it, other new media is nowl prevailing and dominating.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-24 13:57:13 |Display all floors
Think about it. Where are China's only interfaces with the english-speaking rest of the world?

- China Daily
- Peoples Daily
- Global Times
- CCTV
- CGTN
- Confucius Institutes
- individuals

Think about it. What are the common features of all of them?

- emergence from a closed society, itself emerging from an ancient past;
- translated inter-communication of chinese-to-english-to-chinese-to-english-to.....
- when official, sounds staid, dogmatic, doctrinal and un-insightful;
- overwhelmingly reactive rather than proactive to the outside world; do x then wait for response y in order to respond to the response with z; why not x+z before y?
- inability to set nuances into thought-lines that the rest of the world can recognize, ponder and accept.
- no scenario planning: Beijing Olympics (awe) -> Military Parades (fear) - > Global Programs (panic);  ( ) reactions by rest of world.
- not paying attention to the emergence-syndrome: when starting to come up, just do inhouse as much as possible but forget to look at negative responses of outsiders so that inhouse right-to-develop erases advanced planning and counterbalances to counteract outsider reactions.

As for CD, just as:

- why Zheng Yongnian, Zhang Weiwei etc. don't write here, the fastest way to get their writings;

- why China postgrads don't present summary forms of their essays here;

There could be one reason. Namely, the original idea was for english-literate China natives to comment in CD forum.

But given all the above points, the world has changed, so that the only fast way for the rest of the world to really know China better and Chinese thinking on big matters is to make the forum (and other fora of China) as platforms to communicate to the rest of the world as well. Whether the rest of the world writes here is not so important as China commentators writing to inform and enlighten the rest of the world first.

That's the soft power marketing which has been missing all along.  Not efficient!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-24 15:33:16 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2019-6-24 13:57
Think about it. Where are China's only interfaces with the english-speaking rest of the world?

- Ch ...

Forum topics which are of interest to the masses out there in China who don't read English and hence are not here, should be carried in Chinese by the major Chinese news media to reach out to them, to let them know what people here think of them and their behavior!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-24 15:36:48 |Display all floors
GVTCC Post time: 2019-6-24 11:37
Mr S is perseverent in learning and using Enlgish, amazing and worth a handclapping. (he needs to re ...

I prefer straight-talking, no point beating round the bush!  I don't agree with Searu that editors must correct his grammar errors, and I said so, to the point!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-24 16:49:09 |Display all floors
@markwu it will work as well if FB and Twitter open to mainland readers and then it is not a problem at all to tell well China story

@pnp from reading SEARU blogs we know he is an old person but still keeps learning of his own will, we should give him a thumb

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.