Views: 10634|Replies: 35

Who would you give your seat to on public transport   [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2019-6-5 23:48:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2019-6-10 16:23

A woman has sparked a debate on tube etiquette after giving up her seat on the London Underground for a young boy.

The woman involved said the boy's mother asked her to let her son sit down because he was "just a child".

She later questioned whether she made the right decision.

The post led to some debating in what circumstance an adult should give up a seat for a child, while others shared their experiences of being asked to stand.

Describing the incident on Reddit, the woman said: “On the busy tube and managed to get a seat when a woman tells me give my seat to her son because ‘he’s just a child’.

“He looked 10 years old and she didn’t say he needed a seat for any particular reason.

“I stared at her in disbelief and didn’t even know what to say and then she raised her voice at me and told to get up. So I just got up and looked around and everyone seemed just as mystified.”

Some suggested certain situations they would give their seat to a child

The woman, who in another comment said she was 24, said as she stood she wondered whether she had handled the situation appropriately.

She added: “Now I’m on the train home thinking, ‘why did I get up?!’ Is a child more entitled to a seat just because they’re a child? Or am I wrong?”

As she was asked the passenger had contemplated saying no and said: “When I was standing I was shaking from the adrenaline of actually almost saying something.”

Following on from this, some said they would have stood up for a variety of reasons.

Some said their actions would have been to simply avoid confrontation, whereas others said there may have been a reason the child needed the seat which was not obvious on first sight.

A number of parents responded, stating their children were sometimes offered seats but generally when they were younger.

“My 3 yr old often gets offered a seat, the boys at 6 and 12 are old enough to hold on and stand,” one wrote.

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 15.10.31.png

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-6 11:13:21 |Display all floors
London calls for living Lei Feng

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-6-6 16:08:04 |Display all floors
Without knowing the full facts, he does  sound like another little emperor....
only the very young or the elderly should have priority on trains........not a chance i would have given my seat to a 10 yr old.....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-6-6 16:52:43 |Display all floors
There was another case in the uk that stirred up a heated debate, when a gentleman offered his seat to a woman, who then called him a sexist for thinking she needs a seat just because she is a woman........be careful who you offer your seat to
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-6 20:38:06 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2019-6-6 03:52
There was another case in the uk that stirred up a heated debate, when a gentleman offered his seat  ...

called him a sexist for thinking she needs a seat

Men just can't win these days

I only give up a seat now if someone is older or has mobility/health problems.
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-6-6 21:38:31 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2019-6-6 20:38
called him a sexist for thinking she needs a seat

Men just can't win these days

Thats a safe bet.....

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2019-6-6 22:30:24 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2019-6-6 22:32
parcher Post time: 2019-6-6 16:08
Without knowing the full facts, he does  sound like another little emperor....
only the very young o ...

ditto

Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 15.10.31.png

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.