Views: 3787|Replies: 5

A great debate set over tariffs, technology [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-5-29 16:32:09 |Display all floors
微信截图_20190529162949.png

Two television anchorwomen — one from China and one from the US — will debate two sides of the long-running trade dispute between the two countries.

Liu Xin, a mainstay of the China Global Television Network, and Trish Regan, a former CNBC business correspondent who now hosts her own show on the Fox Business Network, will have at it over issues such as tariffs and technology Wednesday at 8 pm EDT in the US and simultaneously at 8 am Thursday in China.

The discourse will take place via satellite, as Liu will be in CGTV's studio in Beijing, while Regan will be at Fox's studio in New York.

The debate idea came about after the two newswomen clashed earlier this month after Regan said Beijing stole "$600 billion worth of intellectual property a year", leading to the Trump administration tariffs.

"China you picked the wrong fight!" Regan tweeted on May 26.

On May 22, on her own program, The Point With Liu Xin, Liu a top anchor on the English-language channel of CGTV, said the $600 billion figure is an estimate by a nonprofit organization that had not been verified.

Liu said it refers to the US' possible IP loss to the world in a year, according to the organization's report, China Daily reported.

She said Regan's points were "all emotion" with "little substance".

Regan responded on Twitter: "Hey #China State TV - let's have an HONEST debate on #trade. You accuse me of being 'emotional' and not knowing my facts - wrong! You name the time and place, and I'll be there!"

In accepting the challenge, Liu wrote on Twitter: "My name is not #China State TV. It's LIU Xin and please, feel free to call me Xin. … But I don't want to play any mud throwing game, if that's what you prepare to do."

The debate seems to be generating wide interest in China, with related hashtags getting more than 150 million views on Weibo.

Eunice Yoon, Beijing bureau chief and Inside China host at CNBC International, tweeted to Regan that 120 million people viewed a Chinese hashtag that she translated to: "Fox News female anchor challenges debate after being accused by CCTV for being emotional".

Yoon, incidentally, was a former classmate of Regan's at Phillips Exeter Academy, a prep school in New Hampshire.

"Seeing the kind of reaction online, I want to say, it's important for us to have a meaningful discussion to try to understand each other better. I appreciate the opportunity," Liu wrote on May 24.

Liu has been working at CCTV since 1997, after graduating from Nanjing University's English studies program.

A video of Liu competing in an international English speech competition in 1996 in London was sent around Chinese social media, the US website qz.com reported.

"While the Western world views Liu as an unapologetic champion of China's agenda, many mainland citizens regard her as a national heroine defending her country from hostile foreign influences," Newsweek reported.

On Monday, Regan tweeted: "I look forward to hosting Ms Liu - in a FIRST OF ITS KIND debate on trade - LIVE from Beijing & New York." (China daily)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-29 17:21:23 |Display all floors
Shoud we do the countdown now?

Actually it is not a debate, it is more a discussion.

First Trish might not do her homework and said a few words without having them passed her brain first as usual, but when she realized that there will be a billion eyes watching on her, she must form a better research team with funds from the company or from the President You Know Whom, because there are also as many American people waiting to see a comedy to be staged by the politicians they do not like.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-29 17:22:37 |Display all floors
We at GVTCC, a state-run vocational college, have decided to suspend the usual English language classes to focus our attention on this century debate via effective media approaches.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-30 15:10:18 |Display all floors
Cathymeng Post time: 2019-5-30 13:20
now with google and WiFi totally cutting off service , Huawei's overseas cellphone market is perma ...

You may know that the US tech companies are crying their eyes out losing such a prominent customer, and China's vast consumer market for good.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-30 16:46:36 |Display all floors
Cathymeng Post time: 2019-5-30 13:20
now with google and WiFi totally cutting off service , Huawei's overseas cellphone market is perma ...

Hmm,
hopefully you have eaten today...

Ohh, by the way, WIFI figures they restored IT.

Just to educate you a bit;  if you bought the router, you own the WiFi being generated by it...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-30 22:52:57 |Display all floors
This morning we worked hard to get through to the Fox channel, but it was delayed by twenty minutes and when the show was about to begin, the net connection was disruptive. We then asked for help from teachers of IT Department and saw the part of Q and A, which turned out very disappointing.

The fake debate wasted a lot of our time and energy!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.