Author: ceciliazhang

Is corruption rife in US college admissions? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-5-7 13:00:44 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-5-7 11:22
I know, you know, but a lot of people take him seriously and that's why it's so immoral -- stocks  ...

re:   stocks dropped precipitously yesterday.

Unle Sam's financial army short selling in Greater China...

Never ever try to elevate stocks to reality...
Wouldn't touch them with a 6' pole...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-7 13:25:42 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2019-5-7 13:00
re:   stocks dropped precipitously yesterday.

Unle Sam's financial army short selling in Greate ...

How about a ten-foot pole?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-8 13:58:05 |Display all floors
This post was edited by emanreus at 2019-5-8 14:02
wchao37 Post time: 2019-5-7 13:25
How about a ten-foot pole?

I'm one not believing in this old burial practice some continue to active in it...

What I'm saying; stay away from uncle Sam's financial fighting arm...

You might do as you please, I couldn't care less for fools being re- buried within  their owm grave...

corruption will guide you way past your resting place...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-8 19:33:30 |Display all floors
That the "contribution" made to the schools was mediated by a Chinese associate working for Morgan Stanley shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone.

It is always easier to infiltrate the body of an opponent from the inside.  Ethnic Chinese students who graduate from elite schools get positions in institutions like Morgan Stanley and some of them earn their commissions mostly by introducing rich Mainland Chinese clients to "deals," and those are the ones responsible most easily used by enemy forces to infiltrate China because of their 'connections.'

Chinese officials who visit the States need to be very careful that they don't fall into "beauty traps" -- a woman is arranged for him, pictures are taken and he becomes their spy from that very moment.

In the instant case involving bribes to get into elite schools, it all started as a normal part of doing business, and naturally the conversation would turn to more private matters.

"Can you find me a way to get my daughter into Yale, Caltech, Stanford or Harvard," the parent investor would ask.

"I'll see what I can do to help you," the Morgan Stanley associate would respond.

Then back in Wall Street he/she would ask around and find someone like Singer who has "connections."

It used to be that contributions are made to schools directly to give their kids a better chance to get into such schools.  But your kid has to be excellent students themselves and not just a B student from Ah So So University, and do very well on the SAT test.

Those would be direct and open contributions that do not ensure success in the application -- it only adds to the odds of one being accepted if two candidates are equally qualified and the contributing winner's parent is an alumnus of the school.  

That's how kids from U.S. presidential families all graduate from Yale, Caltech, Harvard, Stanford, MIT -- parental ties gave them a definite edge.

I think the Chinese family of concern here was cheated because they were told by the Morgan Stanley associate that Singer had connections but they had to make a contribution to the school, and that's why they paid up in April after the kid was accepted in March.

The parents apparently thought it was "routine" policy of the schools, or else the dad wouldn't have come out openly to face the media to explain that his company had nothing to do with the foul play for fear that the same thing would happen to his company's stocks as had happened to Jing Dong's CEO in the aftermath of the man's sex scandal at the University of Minnesota.

If The Chinese family had thought it was bribe money they wouldn't have paid up AFTER the kid was accepted.

Why?

Have you ever heard of someone doing something for you BEFORE the bribe is paid?

So I think the Chinese parent -- at least the father -- was entirely in the dark as to what was going on.

They must have thought it was a legitimate contribution to the school mediated by Singer the middle man for the school.  

If they thought it was a bribe then they would not have to fulfill their end of the bargain AFTER the kid had already been given an offer by the school in March.

They really could have thought it was a legitimate contribution to the school, and not to Singer personally.

The reason why only U.S.- and not PRC-originated Chinese parents are targeted currently for prosecution in the first batch of 50 cases could be for political reasons.  They might yet call in some in the next batch of 50.  Who knows?  

They might be targeting the Chinese parents for future use, and so are keeping the secrets dormant for the time being.

Ask yourself why not even one Chinese official has been exposed in the scandal so far?

Can you imagine how many Chinese parents would have been contacted if they really want to make a big fuss?  

There is a reason for the silence treatment.  They are "far-sighted."  What you are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg.

Some Chinese parents -- including officials -- want their Ah So So kids to enter elite schools and are therefore subject to political blackmail -- see my OMEN thread at TTCD to find out why I said what I said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-8 21:20:10 |Display all floors
I think the Chinese family was cheated because they were told by the Morgan Stanley associate Singer had connections but they had to make a contribution to the school, and that's why they paid up in April after the kid was accepted in March.

The parents apparently thought it was "routine" policy of the schools, or else the dad wouldn't have come out openly to face the media to explain that his company had nothing to do with the foul play for fear that the same thing would happen to his company's stocks as had happened to Jing Dong's CEO in the aftermath of the man's sex scandal at Minnesota University.

If they had thought it was bribe money they wouldn't have paid up AFTER the kid was accepted.

Why?

Have you ever heard of someone doing something for you BEFORE the bribe is paid?

So I think the Chinese parent -- at least the father -- was entirely in the dark as to what's going on.

They must have thought it was a legitimate contribution to the school mediated by Singer the middle man for the school.  

If they thought it was a bribe then they would not have to fulfill their end of the bargain AFTER the kid was given an offer already by the school.

They really could have thought it was a legit contribution to the school, and not to Singer personally.

The reason why only U.S.- and not PRC-originated Chinese parents are targeted currently for prosecution in the first batch of 50 cases could be for political reasons.  They might yet call in some in the second batch of 50.  Who knows?

But can you imagine how many Chinese parents would be contacted if the fraud cases are probed further -- especially those involving Chinese officials?

Some Chinese parents -- including officials -- want their Ah So So kids to enter elite schools and are therefore subject to political blackmail -- see my OMEN thread at TTCD to find out why I said what I said.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.