Views: 15731|Replies: 56

Centenary of the May Fourth Movement [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-5-4 21:25:32 |Display all floors
Seriously, I say we need to study the government's formal documents commemorating the 100th anniversary of the May fourth Movement.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-4 21:28:54 |Display all floors
One of those speeches commemorating the event was delivered by no less than President Xi Jinping himself, showing how important the date is to the Chinese nation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-4 21:29:44 |Display all floors
Let's begin our study right here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-4 21:36:55 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-5-4 22:15

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-4 21:39:12 |Display all floors
Don't worry about me.

I understand the situation.

I won't give anyone any trouble.

We'll all study together on a hard wooden chair.  No sofas allowed.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-4 21:46:24 |Display all floors
I think that speech was just great.  

I don't mean the delivery part.

But the speech itself was just great, and that's what's important.

Why?

Because it spelt out the important events since that fateful day exactly one hundred years ago.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-4 22:06:36 |Display all floors
China was suffering under the yoke of Western imperialism.

The sovereignty of Shangdong Peninsula was transferred to Japan from the defeated Germans at Versailles where the post-war treaty was signed in 1919, even though China had joined the victorious allies in WWI and contributed more than 200,000 workers to the Allies' war effort.

What were the workers doing?

Most of them were digging the trenches and engaging in the dirtiest and most dangerous part of the trench warfare.

Quite a few of them died.

Yet at the post-war Versailles Conference China was treated like a defeated nation and not an ally -- her land was transferred from one imperialist nation to another at the snap of a finger.

Of course the ordinary folks in China got angry -- very angry, and did all they could to invalidate the move.

But to do that properly they must be organized.

So finally they understood that a new Party based on the Soviet Model was needed in China to achieve the same results as the October Revolution in Russia.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.