Author: knox1234

UK’s Huawei review should not be weaponized   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-4-4 16:16:25 |Display all floors
Huawei designs, makes and sells telecom hardware which complies with international standards set by standards bodies such as the 3GPP. All the technical specifications are available to the public. In addition, Huawei allows its international customers and foreign governments access to its internally developed source code upon request.

Where’s the beef?

In contrast, US tech companies develop their own proprietary technologies without complying with international standards. Intel, for example, wanted to promote its own “WiMAX” technology for 4G networks but lost to European and Chinese technologies which later became international standards. Microsoft does not allow third-party access to its proprietary Windows software unlike Linux which is available as an open source software free of charge to Chinese manufacturers.

If anything, this latest attempt by the US government to stymie Huawei using the excuse of national security can easily backfire against US internet companies such as Facebook who have been caught red-handed misusing the personal data of its online customers. Because US internet companies operate globally, they’re most at risk of foreign governments invoking national security to assert their internet sovereignty over social media companies such as Facebook.

Be careful what you wish for. The USA might later regret the day ALL foreign governments blocked US internet and social media companies from operating in their countries. When that day comes, the one company who will supply the hardware to all these foreign countries will end up the winner: Huawei.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-20 16:06:21 |Display all floors
to be honest, i have found some shop-keepers in China get angry when i decide not to buy their product, no matter how hard they try.
It is my choice not to buy, and no amount of harassment or bullying will make me change my mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-20 17:30:52 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2019-4-20 16:06
to be honest, i have found some shop-keepers in China get angry when i decide not to buy their produ ...

Normally the keepers would take the rejection well if you are not rude to them ...
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-20 19:33:22 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-4-20 17:30
Normally the keepers would take the rejection well if you are not rude to them ...

i am not rude to shop-staff.
i am always polite.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-20 19:34:23 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2019-4-20 16:06
to be honest, i have found some shop-keepers in China get angry when i decide not to buy their produ ...

why was my comment changed?
I had more on this comment which seems to be absent here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-20 19:36:47 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-4-20 17:30

my comment is not only applicable to shop-keepers.
if an organisation decides not to use a particular product after researching it, for whatever reason, getting angry will certainly not change their mind.

All this will do is make the product owner/seller seem unreasonable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-21 15:45:51 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2019-4-20 19:36
my comment is not only applicable to shop-keepers.
if an organisation decides not to use a particu ...

Going by your analogy, if the customer does not buy and walks away, it is fine with the shopkeeper. However, if another customer goes around telling other customers not to buy from the particular shop and spreads rumours about the shop, that is unfair to the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper has good reason to be angry.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.