Author: serenades

Blogger 'English useless' post starts war of words   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-3-25 13:49:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-3-28 14:43
pnp Post time: 2019-3-25 13:26
Learning English in China is all about passing exams. This was revealed by the owner/teacher of a ve ...

All the students want is that piece of paper to show to Chinese employers who can't even read English, as a passport to a well paying job!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-25 13:50:07 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-3-25 14:13
pnp Post time: 2019-3-25 13:26
Learning English in China is all about passing exams. This was revealed by the owner/teacher of a ve ...

That's right, and it is called the utilitarian approach -- it helps you to pass exams but not in improving your ability to speak plausible conversational English.  That's why we are constantly amazed at the parade of Chinese college professors making their truly ugly-sounding comments at CGTN during routine interviews.

My philosophy is this: either you speak well or you don't speak at all.  To speak well you need to have been a conscientious student studying the subject matter with diligence and humility.  

I've constantly been amazed by how thick-skinned some of these folks are when they give such a poor performance on public TV representing their country in front of the world's cameras.  

The oddity these days is that when they look at people who can speak and write well, they think they can do the same by throwing in a fistful of money.

They just don't understand how much individual effort spending long and lonely hours studying at the desk (not on the sofa) is required to truly master a language.

It's like the nice-looking apples in an orchard -- you see the results but you don't see the tremendous effort involved in growing those apples.

That's why I am telling you that you must not fall into the trap of trying to help Chinglish speakers -- they will resent your efforts because they are living in their own little fantasy world that their poor English is "good enough."

I know these comments might look self-defeating but they aren't -- they are congealed from years of hard-earned experience.

Even now I am constantly trying to improve my own abilities through incessant practice, even though I don't have to do any such thing at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-25 14:22:43 |Display all floors
Learning a language - any language - is like learning a musical instrument.
daily practice is required.
making mistakes and learning from mistakes is integral to the learning process.
And having the courage to 'perform' before strangers is essential.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-25 14:24:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-3-25 14:24
More Chinglish revealed in CCTV program on online English teaching.  The boss/teacher of a very popular site with millions of followers was heard saying, "You cannot cheating the students", to emphasise the point that he is honest with his students!

Well, on that point I am not surprised.  

A businessman needs a special kind of skill that allows him to have the discerning acumen to know what the market needs at a particular point in time.

The businessman doesn't have to speak English well.  He just needs to know who's a competent speaker when he goes about hiring somebody for the job.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-28 14:42:50 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-3-25 14:24

A businessman needs a special kind of skill that allows  ...

"The businessman doesn't have to speak English well.  He just needs to know who's a competent speaker when he goes about hiring somebody for the job."

In this case, the businessman is also the English teacher, and with his level of English proficiency, his students must be paying a high price, not just in fees but also in sub standard English!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-28 14:49:05 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-3-25 14:24

A businessman needs a special kind of skill that allows  ...

"The businessman doesn't have to speak English well.  He just needs to know who's a competent speaker when he goes about hiring somebody for the job."

Beg to differ; most Chinese businessmen running language schools don't hire 'competent speaker'; he hires unqualified white skinned foreigners including Russians, Poles, and other non native speakers often without the required Foreign Expert Certificate to teach because a white skin helps imcrease student enrol!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.