Views: 107103|Replies: 86

Consumer Rights Day (3.15) Program Exposed Shocking Malpractices! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-3-17 11:55:53 |Display all floors
Millions, if not billions, of Chinese were glued to their TV sets on 15 March to watch the consumer rights program on CCTV.  And what a revelation; malpractices in business which normally consumers would not be exposed to!  For instance,  recycling hospital used and discarded plastic surgical syringes bottles, tubes, etc;  dirty recycled materials used to manufacture adult and chidren diapers in abhorrent conditions;  businesses providing fake parmacist credentials ro pharmacies to conform with registration requirements, when in fact there were never any qualified pharmacists in those pharmacies involved!  And the list of malpractices go on, to the dismay of viewers and consumers!!  The supervisory regulatory authorities immediately responded with raids on the premises of the wayward businesses.  But that obviously came too late, the damage had already been done;  consumers are the only losers!  That the regulatory authorities only swung into action after the program exposed massive wrongdoings, is a poor reflection on their work.  They are expected to stop malpractices from happening, not to take action only when businesses under their watch are caugt red-handed and exposed by the media!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-18 13:49:26 |Display all floors
If the regulatory authorities were as quick to act as they did after exposure of wrongdoings on TV, consumers would be protected.  Perhaps, consumer rights day should be made every day, not just once a year!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-18 13:53:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-3-19 11:49

Those exposed are merely the tip of the iceberg, many more went unreported, posing a constant risk to consumers!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-18 13:55:17 |Display all floors
It's unbelievable that malpractices were taking place for a long time right under the noses of those supervisory officials, and nothing was done until the 3.15 Program exposed them!  Dereliction of duty!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-18 21:09:26 |Display all floors
Seems it's been more than 20 years since the 1st episode of the 3.15 program, the purpuse was combating the widespread issues of fake and poor quality goods/services in the market.  but like many other yearly movements sponsored by certain gov agencies, it has failed to solve the deep-down issues, except every year, like a lottery, an unlucky lot were selected to act as the culprits of everything, whereas everyone knows there are tens of thousands similar or even much worse bad businesses out there.

market economy needs matching administrative facilities, but it's always been our weak spot, and due to all sorts of reasons we also don't have industrial self-descipline organizations. we often see good law-abiding businesses are put out of business or forced to turn rogue too because of pressure of higher cost compared to those of bad ones. And quite often when some public outcry happened due to the malpractices of some businesses in a trade, the whole trade is shut down indiscriminately to pacify the angry people.

actually this condition really hurts the economy, me personally I don't eat outside whenever I can even if I love dearly the trational food I grew up with, because I know much of the materials used to cook are not so good no matter it's small shabby-looking restaurant or big fancy ones. I refuse to consider all kinds of training facilities for myself or for my kid because I know 99.99% of them earn their businesses by cheating.

but I'm seeing hope, those new internet giants in china are transforming many things, laying foundations for new things like the so called new retail business, internet of things etc.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-19 01:15:01 |Display all floors
Rights in China
Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured. Mark Twain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-19 11:03:24 |Display all floors
Saul Post time: 2019-3-19 01:15
Rights in China

Yes, consumer rights, although not strictly enforced until media exposure!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.