Author: ceciliazhang

Duke professor removed for telling students not to speak Chinese [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-1-30 08:37:34 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-29 17:12
In the majority of these cases, the only thing the Neelies of this world need to do is to put themse ...
Would the faculty of Chinese universities feel strange if a group of American students gather in open spaces and communicate with one another only in English?

No, but they probably WOULD complain if the students were being too loud. Obviously you have never been to a "common area" in an American University. They have very little decorations on the walls, which tend to be concrete, or stone, which allows sound to reflect and amplify easily. They generally have high ceilings and small kiosks from which juice, milk, coffee, tea, and snacks can be ordered. They also have signs which request students talk in a low to normal tone of voice so that they do not disturb other users of the common area.

Would any Chinese faculty be talking about barring these American students from enrolling in the masters program?

No, and neither was Duke University. The students in question were already IN the Master's Program.

The Chinese would actually feel very strange if relatively new American students gather as a group in common areas and talk only in Chinese!

Only if they were xenophobic. As a matter of fact, there are quite a few Americans, as well as other foreign nationals, who take Peking University's Chinese language courses in Beijing, and they have no problems with practicing their Chinese, with each other, in public areas, because it gives them a chance to correct each others' mistakes, and use the language of the host country. They understand that the more you use a second language, the better you get at speaking and understanding it, unlike Chinese students who balk at using English outside the classroom because others will feel they are being stuck-up, and laugh at them.

Oh, and where do you get the "relatively new" part from? Chinese cannot directly enter an American Master's program because their Chinese Bachelor's degrees are not recognized. They would have to go through the American four-year Bachelor's program first.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-31 08:39:39 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-30 17:37
Why does she not accept interviews and sue Duke University for wrongful termination if she weren't d ...

She wasn't terminated. Terminated means fired.

A ton of rubbish saying nothing is your trademark, cmNite!

Give it a rest.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-31 12:20:57 |Display all floors
Duke University's medical school has issued an apology and launched a review after an administrator admonished students over speaking Chinese in a school building.

That's the first sentence in this thread uploaded by Cecilia.  I don't believe there is any difference of opinion as to what has happened -- the University's medical school has issued an apology.

Any normal person seeing the above passage would understand that the medical school did a thorough investigation and even authenticated the email that the program director Nelly had sent to admonish students over speaking Chinese in a school building.

So no reporting -- is that okay with you?  I know you can't jump, so I am not expecting you to be able to play basketball with me.

If your fingers are itchy and you still want to report, go ahead.  My advice to you is that if you can't stand the heat don't come into the kitchen, and if you go on distorting facts I will waste no time in disclosing what I see.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-1 11:29:30 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-31 12:20
That's the first sentence in this thread uploaded by Cecilia.  I don't believe there is any differ ...
My advice to you is that if you can't stand the heat don't come into the kitchen, and if you go on distorting facts I will waste no time in disclosing what I see.

Wait ... What?!?!?!?
This coming from the guy that attributed another poster's post to me, swearing adamantly that I said it, even though the post was quoted for all to read?!?!? I must say, you certainly have some cojones telling me to stop distorting facts.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-1 13:37:26 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-2-1 11:29
Wait ... What?!?!?!?
This coming from the guy that attributed another poster's post to me, swea ...

People obssessive with doublespeak usually find it hard to remember what they have said.

We are sorry to see you struggling.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-2 02:30:30 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-2-1 13:37
People obssessive with doublespeak usually find it hard to remember what they have said.

We are  ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-2-2 08:14:21 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-2-1 13:37

We are  ...

I can read ... too bad you can't, or you'd know what I was referring to.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.