Views: 4182|Replies: 11

Whose fault was it -- does this son deserve to die? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-1-9 12:44:46 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-1-9 12:49

Let's talk abou this:

Attack on mother dogged man for two decades before he exploded in anger

A man from Hanzhong, Shaanxi province, was sentenced to death on Tuesday for killing three neighbors in revenge for his mother's death, a local court said.

Zhang Koukou, 36, stabbed Wang Zixin and two of his sons, Wang Zhengjun and Wang Xiaojun, to death on Feb 15 and then set fire to Wang Xiaojun's car, according to the Hanzhong Intermediate People's Court.

Zhang was detained two days later when he turned himself in to police.

"The defendant committed the crimes of intentional homicide and property destruction," the court said. "Although he surrendered, we still decided not to give him lenient punishment for his cruel behavior, which have had great negative effects on society."

Zhang said he was unhappy with the ruling and would appeal to a higher court.

The case aroused public attention after it was reported in the media that Zhang acted in revenge for the death of his mother, who had been seriously injured with a stick by Wang Zhengjun, the third son of Wang's family, during a quarrel in August 1996.

Four months later, Wang Zhengjun, then 17, was sentenced to seven years in prison for intentional injury and was ordered to pay more than 9,600 yuan ($1,510) in compensation.

Standing trial on Tuesday, Zhang confessed that for two decades he never gave up the idea of getting revenge for the attack on his mother.

"If Wang Zhengjun hadn't beaten my mother, I wouldn't have lost her. I was dogged by her death over the years," he said. "My mind went blank and I couldn't control myself when I saw the brothers on Feb 15 last year. They reminded me of my mother's death."

Prosecutors said during the public hearing that Zhang followed the brothers as they made their way home and used a knife to stab the two men several times.

He later went to the Wangs' residence and killed the father, Wang Zixin, 70, and set Wang Xiaojun's car on fire with gasoline, prosecutors said.

"The defendant was upset and angry with the Wang family," the court said in the ruling, adding he committed the offenses with sufficient preparation.

Members of Zhang's family said they had not been satisfied with the sentence given to Wang Zhengjun more than 20 years ago.

Zhang Furu, the defendant's father, added that it was the Wang family that let the son, who was a minor, take the blame and get a lenient penalty because of his age.

Zhang's family had applied to the intermediate court and the provincial high court last year for a retrial of the 1996 assault, but the application was rejected.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 13:44:08 |Display all floors
Two wrongs do not make a right!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 14:03:51 |Display all floors
This Zhang character clearly committed a crime, and deserves a punishment.

If the retrial had been accepted and carried out, but resulted in ruling not favourable for Zhang, he would have probably pursued the same path anyway.

The only thing that could have realistically reduced chance of this happening, is to initially investigate the beating of Zhang's mother in more detail, and possibly provide not only better compensation, but also access to help to deal with the alleged trauma.

But I doubt that the specific locale was in condition do any of that in 1996.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2019-1-9 15:31:23 |Display all floors
A bit extreme killing 3
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 16:46:45 |Display all floors
I think all of you gentlemen have a point, but again like most things in life -- it is difficult to say anyone in our world could have made a complete point on the case.

Afterall, it was a disgusting act of murder -- stabbing three people to death with premeditation, as it seems to be the case.

So what's the point in discussing further, you ask......?

That Zhang was guilty as hell and deserved the capital punishment was also the way I felt when I first read the story, but then I thought about my own mother, and if everything truly happened the way it is depicted here, what would I have done in Zhang's position as the son, feeling the pain and the anguish deep in his heart for the better part of 22 years (since he was 14).

At 14, your physical strength isn't comparable to that of the father (then 48) of the Wang family or the accused (Wang Zhengjun, then 17), and then you witness your mom pass away in front of your eyes because she was beaten with a stick by someone in the Wang family.

The 17 year old was presented by the Wang family as the culprit at the time although Zhang's father Furu thought otherwise -- someone else did the beating but Zhengjun was scapegoated due to his age.

The compensation in the beating case amounted to almost nothing, and then to add salt to the wound, the last sentence in the above report says:

"Zhang's family had applied to the intermediate court and the provincial high court last year for a retrial of the 1996 assault, but the application was rejected."

That's the point I am making -- I think I made a mistake by agreeing with the court's decision too early -- what do you think?

Did the son deserve to die?

Should Wu Song, the tiger-smashing hero of Jingyang Pass in the famous Chinese classic "Water Margin," also be sentenced to death for avenging the murder of his elder brother Wu Da-lang by killing the two adulterous characters Xi Mengqing and Pang Jinglian?

I don't mean to put anyone on the spot because not everyone here is familiar with the story especially if you can't read novels written in the vernacular style, but it would be interesting to find out what kind of response can be expected if we take a survey.

Murder should always be severely punished, but not every case of murder deserves the capital punishment.  

Sometimes it is simply too difficult to tread the fine line between dispensing equitable punishment and overdoing it.

What do you think?

Please be circumspect and ask yourself the what-if question:  what if you were the executioner in the case -- would you be able to calmly put a bullet (so to speak) into the back of Zhang koukou's head on execution day?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 18:13:13 |Display all floors
If kill someone, then can't not complain if get killed

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 22:12:34 |Display all floors
allnightlong Post time: 2019-1-9 18:13
If kill someone, then can't not complain if get killed
Murder should always be severely punished, but not every case of murder deserves the capital punishment.

You must know though, that in many jurisdictions no crime whatsoever deserves capital punishment.

So if that specifically is your question, then the question is specific to Chinese audience only.

But given China's context, I think in this case I would first have the retrial, and if that honestly turns out nothing new, then carry on with the death penalty.

Otherwise reduce to rest of life in prison, and put the investigators and other relevant authorities of the original 1996 case on trial or something, to see if they did something wrong.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.