Views: 2237|Replies: 9

How should Chinese develop Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-1-5 11:03:06 |Display all floors
(In class I was taught to offer readers a strange title for more attraction!) Yes, let‘s discuss on how to make Chinese language grow stronger for the new era!

I do admit that China owns splendid culture achievements in history but it seems that Chinese are too confident about their language who are always proud of that Chinese is the most beautiful language in the world since our characters can express complicated meanings that any other nations can compete with us!
In my opinion we should have a reasonable evaluation on this aspect!
First, one same chinese character may have several different forms in appearance that shows the language has been changing all the time! It was Chairman Mao who launched the project to simplify the ancient Chinese characters making the present version more easier for reading and writing!
Second our vocabulary is quite limited if compared with the powerful English language. We must invent new Chinese characters as we did in 1977 although that movement failed! At least we had to introduce more new phrases from English to Chinese for the progress of new science and technology!
Third, I want to emphasize that something is wrong with our present style on speaking and writing! May I say that as the following? :
In the campus too many language experts have devoted all life on traditional ancient works whose research work can hardly be recognized in the international market! None of them have won the Nobel Prize on literature! The success of that junior middle school student (Mr.Moyan) has showed us a firm signal that ‘More freedom on writing can let Chinese become more powerful in the battle ground of culture! ’

All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-5 15:40:18 |Display all floors
The other day during the new year festival I had some great time with my granddaughter who is only two years old enjoying learning speaking! As I took off her shoes and threw away, she murmured ‘paoxie’ (running shoes)which puzzled me for a while!  The kid had invented a 'new' term by combine ‘跑‘’(running)and ‘鞋’(shoe)together which should be the special equipment with nails at the front of the bottom for athletes to run 100-meter-race in sport competition! The story shows that kids are really talent on language-learning. But our education is not good enough to help them grow in a natural way specially the frequent exams leads the schooling run in an un-scientific method! In the composition class those  children would be seriously scolded if they write in oral way without flowery words!  'There is too much earth atmosphere with your writing for which you can not get high marks  in exams!"
Experts should have a nice check on our language-textbooks! Are they as advanced as foreign  ones?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-5 22:02:20 |Display all floors
If compared with foreign counterparts, we Chinese do work on culture in a backward method that saying might sound harsh to your hearing but it is true!  For an example: That farmer-like actor (Mr. Zhao) had dominated the spring-festival-gala-program on the CCTV for many years but his performance was not welcomed abroad! His works must have been produced by many language experts which were not good enough to meet the international standard! It is a shame for Chinese that warns us  we should make revolutionary change to the old working habit on speaking! It is similar to some industrial products which we take as of high quality but in foreigners' eyes they are rubbish!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-5 23:13:38 |Display all floors
The basic function of language is that it works as tool for us to do thinking job! So the best contribution to the development of our mother language is that our teaching task must let every child enjoy independent thinking in their own words instead of repeating others' sayings! I don't think the present dictionaries or textbooks are perfect enough for schooling due to the poor editing process! A lot of jobs are waiting us to make some improvement!
(Foreigners explain each concept in different way from ours! So don't force our poor kids to memorize too many the so-called standard keys to exams!)

It is unavoidable that we need reforming on education management system as well as the teaching content and how to evaluate students' performance, etc.  Or no future for Chinese language!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-6 03:40:34 |Display all floors
more important: how should WEST-Germans develop EAST-Germans
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-6 09:54:34 |Display all floors
lionstar Post time: 2019-1-6 03:40
more important: how should WEST-Germans develop EAST-Germans

Concern another topic:How should mainland China unify Taiwan China?

(Your comment plus my reply can form a couplet!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-6 15:49:58 |Display all floors
The language issue is the backbone of the education cause! All can't be done without words! Books must be written in logical way in plain phrases and lecturing should be given in easy way with more tests and experiments. The administrative authority should allow teachers and students have more rights to do teaching and learning in a reasonable method decided by themselves! Children are the God of our schooling service who should be well trained on self-independent-thinking instead of memorizing too many knowledge-points!  Letting kids do thinking in their own words is the starting line and the goal of our teaching job!-----------It is a pity that what is going on in the school yard is not what we wish!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.