Views: 9632|Replies: 5

What is 笃行 in Chinese? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-16 10:09:07 |Display all floors
Recently one series program on CCTV1 has become popular that is <习语近人> which means 'President Xi's words can easily touching your heart'! Last night that beauty-professor explained the meaning of an ancient Chinese saying ‘博学, 慎思, 笃行.’(Widely learning, careful thinking, whole-heartly doing.)
笃 is bamboo(竹)plus horse(马).  You whip the fast horse  you are riding with a bamboo-branch! That shows you do something quickly after you have learned some theory! It is important for us to fully understand the real meaning of book-knowledge! (In our vocational school theory is taught with enough tests and practice. )
All of our writings should go with zero error!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-16 10:34:28 |Display all floors
when I watch the TV-show, I can sense the difference between Chinese and English on expressing style! In English-speaking regions all sentences go in such a smooth way that everyone can easily understand! But in China different speakers work in their own style that tradition has caused too many unnecessary troubles for students!
On this aspect I appreciate Mr. Xi's teaching: “We should learn from and absorb all advantages of foreign nations' civilization to develop our own cause!”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-16 11:22:58 |Display all floors
If you Internet 笃, the computer would offer you kinds of explainings! One of the sayings goes so strange to me: Horse walking slowly!

Several simple Chinese characters contain too much unknown information that our ancestors left for us!  Senior scholars should dig deeply in the traditional field and then translate the hard sayings into easy text for the young!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-16 13:59:42 |Display all floors
I had posted an earlier thread on 行 through which you can get its meaning: What is ‘行走'?
https://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/f ... amp;fromuid=1341001

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-16 14:16:14 |Display all floors
We have an idiom 策马扬鞭(To wave the whip in the air to speed up the horse you are riding!) The top of  策 is 竹(bamboo)and its lower part is some plant with needles which may hurt your hand if you touch it! At the beginning of human history, people did use simple bamboo-branch as whip to control a horse.
笃行 should be understood as “To doing something for practice without any delay after you have learned it on paper! ”
But in most cases for Chinese students the story does not go in that way who learn language for exam marks instead of expressing their own ideas!
I notice that even within the CCTV program some remarks (by experts) going like slogan-shouting which are lack of real meaning!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-17 16:22:33 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2018-10-16 11:22
If you Internet 笃, the computer would offer you kinds of explainings! One of the sayings goes so st ...

One of my colleagues who teaches Chinese language explained 笃 in this way:“This is the sound when the horse is walking slowly due to heavy load while the feet striking the path!”
I can not judge if his saying is right or not. But one thing is certain that 笃行 should mean ‘To do something whole heartly with all efforts that you can afford!’

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.