Author: zaq

Stereotypes of Chinese media cause real damage [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-10-15 14:18:50 |Display all floors
This article is right on with regards to how the West has honed the media into a weapon against those who are different. Their media does not speak for the truth and is not interested in the truth but only for what they established as the "truth". It is a big industry with support from very very very rich people (of self interest). I am glad more and more people are aware of it. This has been happening for many decades. Developing countries are rich, fertile places for this kind of indoctrination because people in such countries want to live the kind of life in developed countries and will easily succumb to the lure of such propaganda. Anyway, I would like to comment more on the last paragraph of this article which says:

And a dilemma does exist for Chinese media outlets: must they speak in the Western value system to make their stories more easily accepted and increase their audience; or must they tell their own stories and ignore the agenda pushed by the West? As China's influence in the world has become increasingly important, this dilemma is more urgent than ever before.

It is CGTN that I am more focused on. In my opinion, there is no need to hire presenters who only speak English with American accent. They have to be fluent, but not necessarily American accented. It is a subtle form of "submission". What is important for a media is that it represents the truth and is impartial by reporting the facts without trying to influence people's thoughts, such as by resorting to deceiving headlines, omitting important and relevant facts, and by choice of words. Slowly, this media will gain recognition and respect.  If there are not enough facts, the media should be responsible to mention it and KIV this matter. If Chinese media can accomplish this, it would offer an attractive alternative to the present day Western media.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-15 15:27:29 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2018-10-15 13:53
This article is right on with regards to how the West has honed the media into a weapon against thos ...

That's how I feel -- the media has been honed into a weapon.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-15 17:35:54 |Display all floors
most people would be surprised that the chinese media even has very little influence within the overseas chinese communities. for example, many chinese amerikans dont know about china daily, global times, xinhua, or renminribao. the overseas chinese media is mainly dominated by hongers, and taiwanese who usually present a western perspective. the same problem exists for chinese language schools, also dominated by pro western hongers, and taiwanese. thats why soft power rests firmly in the hands of the west. they are literally light years ahead of china, and indeed the rest of the world. since china practices a "non interference" policy, it;s nearly impossible to wrestle that away from western inperialists

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-15 17:38:04 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2018-10-15 13:53
This article is right on with regards to how the West has honed the media into a weapon against thos ...

russia today (rt) has made the mistake of hiring mostly western reporters, who, unsurprisingly, will report news from a........you guess it....... western perspective. people generally go to sites like rt, or cgtn to get a different point of view. if youre going to present something similar, then why not just go to cnn instead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-15 17:47:41 |Display all floors
i used to watch the chinese news, and indeed rt too, but it came to the point where the reporters from the chinese news were so westernized, it did nothing to present things from a unique perspective that stood out from what would be presented on cnn, or bbc. and you can tell from looking, and listening to these reporters that they also live very westernized, bourgeois lifestyles, which to me, discredits a person. let me make this analogy. if a bottle of coke is sitting in front of you, why bother walking down the street to buy pepsi?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-15 20:48:38 |Display all floors
a dilemma does exist for Chinese media outlets: must they speak in the Western value system to make their stories more easily accepted and increase their audience; or must they tell their own stories and ignore the agenda pushed by the West?

The question of speaking either in "Western value system" or "tell their own stories" is amusing at best, because Chinese media's ability to tell their own stories is so limited. If only they could freely tell their own stories, this question would not need to be asked.

Fundamental issue is, that all Chinese media outlets are required to take orders from the Chinese government, and more accurately from the ruling party.

In west the media organizations are independent - they are independent in choosing who they take orders (often as sidekick for money) from. Most have to take it from somewhere - their readers and viewers, if nothing else.

Because of this, in current situation Chinese media can only be trusted to same degree that the Chinese government can be trusted. And therein the track record is not good. There is no transparency, and outright lies have been frequent. Who would trust media like that, in any country? In west educated people have choice to select another media or create their own, if they don't trust one.

For foreign viewers, Chinese media currently serves only the purpose of seeing things like Chinese governments wants things to be seen. It can never be first choice for actual information in west - it can only give another perspective.

The first step in improving image of Chinese media abroad, would be to cut that cord between media and the government. But that is unlikely to happen, because the whole industry is a critical tool in the party machine.

Given this, one can only wonder why Chinese media (collectively speaking) even want to be something else? What it is, and what it wants to be, are so incompatible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-16 11:12:55 |Display all floors
the western media is far from independent. if u look at western news sources, they often parot each other. although they may go by different names, they all have the same exact narative, most of the time, word for word. my assumption is, like the chinese news, western news also comes from up top, and are given strict orders to report a certain way, and there is no leniancy at all to deviate from what the oligarks believe. i dont know what these western shils are talking about because there is no transparency in western media either. this is why you always hear western media say "anonymous sources say". or "activists say", but you never actually know who these people are, or if they even exist. at least the chinese media will often show clips of foreigners talking with subtitles, but the western media is more likely to just take the entire narrative, and just tell the story themselves without giving anyone else a chance to speak. youll see news clips in the western media about north korea, and the entire piece will be narrated by westerners, from inperialist perspectives, wit no north koreans talking. in fact, westerners take very little interest in the news, most likely because of how deceptive, and dictatorial it is. the western media, like most other media, is more interested in telling you how to think, rather than informing you about what is actually going on. there is very little space for independent choice. i seriously doubt that anyone in the west can just create their own media. the media in the west is one of the most restrictive industries ever. try to report about china, iran, north korea, and russia in a positive light, and see how long you last as a media. try reporting negatively about juz, and see how long you last. try challenging the many monarkies in europe, and see where that gets you. this is why the western media as a whole is rigidly pro kapitalist, dekadent, and inperialist. for example, you will never hear any western media say that amerika should go back to the native amerikans. are people thinking that? absolutely, but the western media's narrative runs counter to the masses, and thats why it is such a turn off to most people. once again, i repeat, the western media is there to tell you what to think rather than informing you. how many times have you read an article in the new york times, or washington post, and you just say to yourself, did this article even say anything? because i just done read an entire article and didnt get a thing out of it. the media is more misleading than it is informing

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.