Author: wchao37

Aftermath of The Bretton Woods Agreement [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-9-29 13:14:56 |Display all floors
Okay guys, while my post is in the filters, let me just show you how difficult translation could be in cross-cultural communication within the projected BRI community.

Note that 原文: 陶渊明的《归去来兮辞》

归去来兮,请息交以绝游。世与我而相违,复驾言兮焉求?悦亲戚之情话,乐琴书以消忧。农人告余以春及,将有事于西畴。或命巾车,或棹孤舟。既窈窕以寻壑,亦崎岖而经丘。木欣欣以向荣,泉涓涓而始流。善万物之得时,感吾生之行休。

An online participant interprets it as such:

有时走过高低不平的山路。草木茂盛,水流细微。羡慕自然界的万物一到春天便及时生长茂盛,感叹自己的一生将要结束。

So it should be used on occasions depicting a self-pitying mindset that accompanies the arrival of his old age or senility, not for a vibrant occasion like the Summer Davos.

That's why the original translation by Zhang Lu was inappropriate although every word was correctly matched, and this is also why forumite Zhao Jianguo invoked this example to show how difficult the art of translation truly is, because you need profound knowledge in many areas to match the temperamental requirements of the original passage.  

His critic kevinruud was too quick in coming to the conclusion that Mr. Zhao was misappropriating Zhang Lu's translation as his own -- essentially charging Zhao with plagiarism.

If Zhao had indeed tried to pose as the original translator, he wouldn't have chosen something so recent or well-known as this one.

My translation is therefore:

Tree branches competing to stab into the sky and gathering eddies streaming forth at their origin.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-30 22:42:15 |Display all floors
Despite its current quarterly 4.2% GDP growth, it is no rumor that America has lost its confidence.  No one is interpreting the 4.2% uptick as a harbinger of good times to come.  

Even Hollywood is becoming almost muted in its customary braggadocios.

We used to see Hollywood films like "The Ugly American" at a time you didn't have to be politically correct or when the country wasn't afraid to poke a joke at itself.

Now they are becoming very sensitive and acting extremely hostile to even minor challenges from smaller powers -- like slapping 50% tariffs on Turkey for imprisoning that pastor.

I think this is because they had literally gotten away with murder in their genocidal wars against the Native Americans who physically and genetically resembled East Asians, and such success encouraged them to expand that mode of behavior around the world especially at a time when an East Asian power like China is coming to the fore.

The psychological component is very pertinent and important in this fight.

That's why when our FM stood on that UN podium explaining to the world that China has no intention to pick a fight with America and doesn't want to be the Number One Player, it's not going over well to the world's audience.

I mean you can say that in private to the real-estate man but whether China wants to be Number One is not up to her to decide.

After all, there is such a thing called Megatrend and there is nothing wrong with having the courage to achieve its laudable goal of doing more to help the destitutely poor and landlocked nations to fend for themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-10-1 12:28:20 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-2 14:59:55 |Display all floors
The psychological component is very pertinent and important in this fight.

That's why when our FM stood on that UN podium explaining to the world that China has no intention to pick a fight with America and doesn't want to be the Number One Player, it's not going over well to the world's audience.

I mean you can say that in private to the real-estate man but whether China wants to be Number One is not up to her to decide.

Just the fact of China's growth rate is enough for the likes of Trump to act crazy.  Just last week Harvard's president warned that by 2050 China's GDP will be twice that of the U.S.

That would be the understatement of the week.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-2 15:00:35 |Display all floors
After all, there is such a thing called Megatrend and there is nothing wrong with having the courage to achieve its laudable goal of doing more to help the destitutely poor and landlocked nations to fend for themselves.

I am still of the same opinion.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.