Author: hunterhe

Good evening! ukgaragefan... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-11 08:53:01 |Display all floors

Hi,ukgaragefan,could you help me?

Hi,ukgaragefan:
The following sentences are from the film"CASABLANCA":
Moonlight and love songs never out of date.Hearts full of passion,jealousy and hate.Woman needs a man and man must have his maid,that no one can deny.It's still the same old story.A fight for love and glory,a case of do or die.The world will always welcome lovers as time goes by.

I don't understand the sentence"a case of do or die".As is known to all,a preposition can't follow a verb.But in this sentence,the prep"of" follows the two verbs "do" and "die". Why? Is there anyone who can explain this? And what does this sentence mean?
Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-13 16:46:14 |Display all floors

ukgaragefan,where are you?

I haven't seen your message for so long.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-14 06:11:59 |Display all floors

Hi

Sent you a private message to answer your question

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 09:33:16 |Display all floors

can i be lucky enough too?

can i have the luck to get an enlish teacher or friend as he?
mmm
looking forward to it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-1-11 10:06:40 |Display all floors

My interpretation of the saying "to do or die"

hunterhe,

a case of = an example of a situation

in this case the situation is:

to do or die = must succeed ( must not fail to succeed)

It emphasises (stresses) the need to make a big effort to succeed in doing something.

A fight for love and glory,a case of do or die.= (the person) must strive to succeed in gaining the love of the other person.

I hope I have not confused you with my explanation.

[I don't understand the sentence"a case of do or die".As is known to all,a preposition can't follow a verb.But in this sentence,the prep"of" follows the two verbs "do" and "die". Why? Is there anyone who can explain this? And what does this sentence mean?
Thanks.]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.