Author: ocpaul20

What makes a good English Corner?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-4-28 14:57:00 |Display all floors
I understand the point about speaking imperfect English, however I feel that speaking some kind of English is better than none. Also, a lot of the difficulty speaking foreign languages is due to lack of confidence, so in that case, the more speaking you do, the better.

Arguing about it only wastes time and does not really help the situation. There was one good suggestion in the thread though - to read aloud as much English as possible, this will help because it will make you familiar with a wider vocabulary. If you also look up the words you dont know, that will help too. The only problem I can see with reading aloud is that you cannot correct your own pronounciation. I suspect that Chinglish can be helped by use of an old-fashioned language-lab (hear, repeat multiple times). I learned French this way at school.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-28 15:42:54 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-30 10:54:49 |Display all floors
Old topic revived! Obviously someone is still grappling with his English problems!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-2 12:02:07 |Display all floors
ocpaul20 Post time: 2019-4-28 14:57
I understand the point about speaking imperfect English, however I feel that speaking some kind of E ...

"There was one good suggestion in the thread though - to read aloud as much English as possible,..."

Beg to disagree!  I've noticed students at unis and colleges doing exactly that! That does not help them speak good fluent English; they can't learn anything reading aloud!  If anything, it annoys all those aroiund them with their loud noises!  We are already plagued by Chinese talking loudly in restaurants, subways, buses and other public places, we don't need anymore noise!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-6-25 17:41:10 |Display all floors
It may not help them speak fluent English, but it gives them a wider vocabulary and shows when and where to use the correct words. It also exposes them to natural English language which is used in real life - rather than simple stories written in English textbooks.

I have also noticed students learning English in university, they were English Majors and they would stand on the stairs or anywhere reading newspapers and English books out loud. Personally, I think it is useful for them to do that and hear themselves speak. Maybe we just have to disagree on that point.

Noisy people are everywhere, not just in China.
testing the waters

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.